Neurology Community
post subdural hematoma cardiac problems

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

post subdural hematoma cardiac problems

I didn't find a topic related to this particular problem. My mother is 59, has a history of gallbladder removal and total hysterectomy. She has hypothyroidism and is treated for it with synthroid. She is has normal weight, a healthy diet and is very active. Recently, she suffered from a spontaneous subdural hematoma which required burr hole evacuation. It was a large bleed and caused more than a midline shift. After the surgery, she had an episode of slurred speech which lasted less than 2 minutes and didn't cause any further problems. Her neurosurgeon prescribed Keppra as precautionary. She has been discharged for 1 month, but had a fall and passed out. Upon return to the hospital, they noted a new onset of bradycardia and sent her home with a holter monitor. She is now showing signs of sick sinus syndrome and her cardiologist is considering a pace maker. She really doesn't want this at all. Is there any way that the keppra or the hematoma and brain bruising itself has caused this? Would a trial period of no keppra be out of line? This is really hard on her because the forced decrease in activity is not normal for her and she really wants to get back to her job and exercise. She is scared now and fighting a little depression from this event. Her main concern is that not all of her doctors (the neurosurgeon, cardiologist, and family practitoner) are not aware of what each other are doing. How can she get them all together to have each of them know the whole picture? Which physician should take charge? I know that this is several questions, but my field of laboratory medicine does not help me help her. We are just looking for someone to turn to for help. Thank you for trying to help my mother.
Hi there!

Neurological/ vascular issues or keppra are unlikely to be related to sick sinus. For the coordination between specialists you could discuss with her primary care physician and with the next appointment provide a brief detail about the condition/ recommendation of the other doctor to each.
Hope this helps.

Take care!