Neurology Expert Forum
post surgery

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

post surgery
What are some of the problems that happen after post sugery fusion? I have heard from several people of problems with numbness, restless legs, everyone has the long standing horror story. And am trying to get a feel as what to expect. Is there any general rule of thumb? i am having lumbar fusion. thank you for your time
The surgery may not improve the symptoms, this is called failed back syndrome. This can involve local back pain or new pain/weakness in your extremities. If the fusion does not take, then a repeat surgery may need to be performed. You need to discuss the specifics with your surgeon. Without reviewing your case and the imaging I cannot determine what surgery may need to be performed or what may be the specific compications. If you are uncertain, it is reasonable to obtain an opinion from another surgeon. Good luck.
I had a double ALIF in January. This is a fusion with titanium cages and BMP which is a synthetic bone grafting material. I had 5 lumbar surgeries at L4-5, L5-S1 previously which through the years eventially caused the vertebra to be bone on bone. I was limping severely and in severe pain so the fusion was inevitable. I am glad that I had it done, although I have some peripheal neuropathy and RSD which is minor complications compared to what it was prior to surgery. I have some agrivating sensations in my feet and one foot stays hot and swells. There is some back ache, but as I said previously, I am truly much better off having had the surgery. I didn't lose as much mobility as I thought that I would have although I don't do horseback ride nor do I jump on jet skis anymore either. I am a 47 yr. old female and the surgeon said that if I didn't have the fusion done that could have eventually could have caused hip damage. If you have questions my e-mail is ***@**** and you can also type ALIF in your search engine and should find so much more on the type of surgery which is much better than the standard fusion. Good Luck!
thank you so much for your reply, and i will email you.again thank you!
ellie