post viral syndrome
I am a 34 y/o female who had viral encephalitis 2 years ago.  Months after my illness I continued getting terrible debilitating headaches.  I went back to my doc. who did another MRI which was negative.  He gave me Maxalt for the HA's, which sometimes works.  2 years later, the HA's don't come as often, but I still notice I am sometimes at a loss for words.  I have contributed it to being a stay-at-home-mom who doesn't get to use her brain at work.  I found this forum (thank goodness!) which people have talked about postviral encephalitis syndrome.  How do I know if I have this?     Frankly, I am embarrassed about my sometimes lack of finding the right word, or mixing my words in speech.  I usually just laugh and blow it off.  To be honest, I feel stupid.  Do I just need to do more crossword puzzles to exercise my brain? or could I actually have a residual effect of my viral illness?  Has anyone experienced this?
Hi dear

As you must be aware, viral encephalitis is caused by a viral infection and when the virus localizes in the brain, it may lead to swelling of the brain tissue (cerebral edema), destruction of nerve cells, and possible brain damage. Ganerally, the neurologic symptoms require some months before complete recovery after treatment. In case of patients who survive severe cases of encephalitis, there may be some permanent brain damage that can lead to impairment of memory, speech, muscle control, or sensations. Hence, you may be suffering from a post viral encephalitis complication. Please do consult your neurologist for the best advice.

Best..
I also had viral encephalitis a year ago. I have atrophied tissue in the right temporal lobe as a result. I know exactly how you feel! There doesn't seem to be any real answers to my questions either. I do know that like your muscles ... you need to work your brain. Crosswords and puzzles do help. Yup, you get a headache from all the thinking, but it's worth it. Try something relaxing after you "work" your mind. Slow easy stretches and breathing to unwind and absorb all you "learned". I find the crosswords not only help with spelling and comprehension, but also up and down-left to right issues. (obviously I have a few other issues besides word recollection) I wish you all the luck and support you can find! xoxox
Hello everyone,

My dad is 74 and was having "dizzy spells" since last Nov. 2008.  He got worse with extreme weakness, fatigue and eventually last month having 3 Major seizures.    He was hooked up to a "bonnet"/EEG for a week to monitor the seizures, he was having over 10 a day, and a lot of them he was not even aware of. the doc was at a loss and had been giving him Kepra for the seizures, and since then is switching him to 2 different anti-seizure drugs. Very recently he was diagonosed with St Louis Encephalitis, as his spinal fluid tested positive for it, doc says it is no longer "active", but he has had extreme short term memory loss and extreme weakness.

Can Anything be done or recommended for the memory loss?!  He is a fruit loop and it breaks my heart.  He is still in the hospital going through PT, he is extremely weak and the memory loss persists.  He is a mess!  Can anything be done to help him get better or are there any drugs that can help with the memory loss?
dk1
I suffered with viral meningitis when I was in third grade. I was about 8 years old then ,I'm 19 now, I believe I'm still going through complications from it. I was hospitalized for about five months I do not remember much I really didn't know what was going on and still don't know much about what I went through.I have very bad lower back pain and I occasionally find myself mistaking words for others.I'm thankful I made it past that very low point in my life and happy to know there are others as well.
I´m a surviving encephalitis victim.

My quality of life went to s__t, along with my families´.

CDC in Atlanta gave no help for the head aches, weakness, blurry vision or any post effects.

A virus is not a bacteria.

Any how, I decided that with the information highway I could educate myself about whats going on and maybe sustain live until my kids finish college.

After years of research I found that the membrane seems to squeeze the brain. Also by taking all kind of head ache pills that by the way I had to change every three days when they became ineffective I realize the blood thinning was reliving some what the head aches.

I research some more and found that I could not get a medicine deriving from Sweetmedow, and that i´m past south the agricultural some in which they thrive.

Well I said, what does these med those whats its action on humans?

Well basically is anantinflammatory and antihistamine (kind off), well

I usually get my head ache pills and at the 2 past visit I said What the heck, I would try anything ( I have had try everything for the head aches)
so I ask for the strongest over the counter antihistamine and antinflamatory pills.

Well Its been two weeks that I got part of my old self back.

The clouds, head aches, and overwhelming feeling has been reduced.

Good luck!

Moet Be!