post viral syndrome
In October of 2007, I began to have episodes of flu-like body aches.  After quickly being told it was probably "something viral", I was given a cortisone shot and sent on my way.  I did receive relief from the shot but then in about 3 weeks had the same symptoms along with severe fatigue.  I continued to make about 3 more trips to the doctor with the same symptoms.  In January of 2008, I was diagnosed with a positve flu test.  I felt better about one week and then the body aches began again.  By the end of February-first week of March 08, I had muscle fasiculations in my arms and legs but mostly in my legs, severe bilateral leg weakness and tingling, severe hand weakness (could not open the door on one occasion), severe fatigue, body aches, and joint pain mostly isolated to both hips.  At times the hip pain was so severe I could barely walk.  It is now at the end of May.  I am a physical therapist, so I am familiar with with neurological diseases and symptoms.  I have been to the neurologist and been diagnosed with post viral syndrome.  MRI, EMG, and all blood work are normal.  Heavy metal tests, RA, Lupus, Lyme disease, HIV, West Nile Virus are all negative.  Cortisol levels, B12, C-reactive protein, and sed rates normal.  I go to the rheumatologist tomorrow.  I am now off work as I cannot physically perform my job duties as a physical therapist.  I continue to have fasiculations, involuntary movements of my hands and feet, severe fatigue, and weakness mostly in my legs and hands.  When  my symptoms were at their worst, I had slightly slurred speech when tired and it took greater effort to lift my left foot.  I also have hand tremors.  Symptoms are much better with rest and are much worse when I am tired.  Myesthenia Gravis test was negative.  I also have dry mouth and eyes.  What other tests should I request?  How long should I expect these symptoms to persist if this is post viral syndrome?  Should I have a spinal puncture?  If this were MS, would anything show up with a spinal puncture since I have a normal MRI?  I have no vision changes.

This discussion is related to MS, post-viral syndrome, or something else?.
Hi Bec, I have had similar symptoms though not so severe that I have had to give up work and it started with a flu like virus back in January. I had slight tingling in hands and feet and a persistent ache in my shoulder especially during long car journeys. I have been having fasiculations also in all limbs though they are annoyance more than painful. Two weeks ago I got the flu bad for three days. I thought i had recovered but a few days later I ached in both arms and limbs pretty bad - it felt like they just had swollen up - I could go about my dail activities but I was really sore and not interested in doing anything. The aches have stopped but I still have a head cold that is getting better. The top of my left shoulder is twitching right now and my knees are sore from sitting down in front of the pc. I am really frustrated as I was extremely fit before Christmas and since then excercise has been at a minumum. Had blood tests and all and all I am getting back is that this is a virus and it will go in time and that I just have to be patient. I am trying to be patient but I cant. My quality of life is about 60% to what it previously was. I wish I could go to sleep tonight and wake up next year when all will be okay again.....

I have done some research and thought I may have Fibromyalgia but I dont have any tenderness in any of the supposed tender points - Have you looked into this possibility yourself? My prayers are with you as I know how you are feeling... :|
Hello manufan,
So sorry you are going through your  pain but it is so comforting to know that I am not the only one with such strange symptoms.  I have looked into Fibromyalgia, but I do not have enough of the symptoms to be diagnosed.  I don't have tenderness at the points that the Dr's. test.  I also feel that I have too many neurological symptoms for this dx.  The doctors tell me there is nothing they can really do at this point.  I just have to get plenty of rest and not allow my body to become fatigued.  They say my body has to have time to heal.  I would suggest the same for you.  I know it is very frustrating to not be able to fully function, but I have slowly learned the hard way what happens when you do too much for too long.  I am blessed with a wonderful husband who has now been doing the cooking, cleaning, laundry, and grocery shopping going on 4 months now.  It has been a very difficult adjustment.  I would encourage you to hang in there and continue to be proactive about your condition and seek second and third opinions and do your own research.  I am a firm believer in everything happens for a reason.  I know I will be stronger for having gone through this trial and I pray the same for you and your family.
Hi Bec,

Thanks for your words. I went to the gym last night (just some cross-training - no weights) for the first time in a about 3 weeks and it went fine though I woke up in the middle of the night last night and my arms (from elbow to wrist) felt really swollen (which I get alot). It was about 3 in the morning. I ran a sink full of cold water and placed my arms in there for about 2/3 minutes. I went back to sleep and the arms felt better this morning..... I know its frustrating but I will hang in there - it wont beat or depress me..I will check in on you later down the line and wish you a speedy recovery - You have a good man by your side by the sounds of it. I must say my girlfriend is much the same!

Take care..