potato sized aracnoid cyst
My husband was diagnosed with an aracnoid cyst that literally engulfs nearly half of his skull- only half of his brain ever formed.  The cyst was discovered just a few years ago when it began to cause pain.  He has had two operations: the most recent involved inserting a shunt.  My husband has done well for 2-3 years until recently he has had extremely bad headaches.  He feels cold all the time; his headaches are constant.  He's had pain in his head before but this time the pain goes on without ceasing.  It's been determined the shunt is still working correctly.  Do you have any advice on what could suddenly cause such pain?  If the shunt is creating a problem, what are alternative options in order to keep the cyst from growing further?  Any advice is truly appreciated.
How is your husband now, still having headaches?
Patients usually are asymptomatic even if the cyst is quite large. Any signs suggestive of raised intra-cranial tension like vomiting, headache, visual disturbances, irritability should alert you to visit a neurologist at earliest to check for functioning of shunt.
Fully Endoscopic Resection of Intracranial Symptomatic Arachnoid Cysts can be performed. Other operative procedures for treatment of arachnoid cysts include stereotactic cyst aspiration, cysto-cisternostomy and ventriculocystostomy.