Neurology Expert Forum
pounding and pressure on top of my head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

pounding and pressure on top of my head
good day.
i few months ago i started having this congested feeling in my head, a dole annoying ache. it seems that my whole head is full of something. and then just recently i started having this pounding on top of my head. it wakes me up from my sleep. this pounding comes with pressure the pounding seems want to push it self out of my head but the pounding and pressure don't stay too long but it happened when I'm sleeping
thank you in advance
Au1964
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

What you describe could be a migraine, but more information is needed to diagnose. Migraine is in the category of primary headache disorders. Primary headache disorders are much more common than secondary ones. Migraines are classically described as a pulsating throbbing one-sided pain with nausea and discomfort in bright lights that lasts several hours to days. It can be quite disabling. However, there are other types of primary headache disorders. Additionally, it is important to have secondary causes of headaches ruled out. These may include sleep apnea, intracranial lesions, etc. Without further information about your headache, it is difficult to provide you with adequate information. However, it is important for you to understand that if you have not experienced headaches in the past and you are now having new head pains, seeing a neurologist is a good idea, just to make sure there is nothing serious causing this pain. Imaging of the brain and sometimes then neck may be indicated depending on your exact symptoms, your physical examination, and other factors.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

Im having the same types of problems but I sometimes feel like I am going to pass out I went to the hospital they said it was a sinus headache gave me antibiotics and sent me on my wat and im still having the pain in  my head