Neurology Expert Forum
pregnant with brain tumor

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

pregnant with brain tumor

Hi i'm 20 years old girl and 6 months ago doctors diagnosed me a brain tumor. Now i am pregnant and i'm wondering is there any way for me to get some medical help that won't harm my baby? Please answer to me as soon as possible because i'm loosing my mind out of worry
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Do you know what type of tumor you have been diagnosed with? What were your symptoms?

There are some brain tumors that may change during pregnancy secondary to the fluid changes from blood volume and hormonal stimulation.

Depending on the location and type of tumor, contractions may be more painful secondary to increased intracranial pressure. Typically, we recommend that labor be as pain free as possible with perhaps manual assistance with the delivery during second stage of delivery.

Treatment options depend on the grade of the brain tumor. If low-grade, treatment is not urgent and should be delayed until after delivery. If it is a high-grade glioma, radiation may be an option. Chemotherapy is not recommended until AFTER delivery. In some instances, surgical resection may be an option.  

I suggest you follow up with your neuro-oncologist to discuss your concerns. Ultimately, it depends on the type of tumor and its location within the central nervous system.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.

Thank you for answering. I was diagnosed with malignant brain tumor on occipit. And my simptoms were tinnitus constantly, desorientation,discoordination,forgetting what i was saying in the middle of sentrnce forgeting what someone said or did wright after,black spot infront of My eyes,fainthing, not being able to see and/or hear anything within few minutes, weakness of all body, not very often halucinations, not being able to answer on simple question because my brain blocked itself. Terrible migrenes,dizzyness,nose bleed,pain in my eyeballs,constant headaches, changing of body temperature few times a day from to hot to to cold, constant preassure in my head, and other symptoms. Please,if finding out this information is any help for realize what to do,please answer me. And thank you for your answer.