Neurology Expert Forum
pressure feeling on top of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

pressure feeling on top of head

hi,
for the past 2 weeks ive been having a feeling of pressure on top of my head (i posted previously).  it was not really a pain like a headache, just pressure and just on top of the head, not really all over.  i had a cat scan done w/o contrast that was interpreted as normal.
My question is,
can a cat scan determine the presence of unruptured anuerysms? because im really worried about that and tumors since this started.
Also, i do have anxiety disorder which i take xanax .5 mg 2x daily. and i notice that sometimes after i take the xanax, the feeling of pressure subsides somewhat.  could something like this be psychological or anxiety related?  it's not what i usually get as an anxiety symptom so im really worried about something being wrong or the cat scan missing something.  please help.  
thank u for ur time and for answering my previous post.
Pan
The CT scan with contrast is good for evaluating medium to large tumors, and large aneursyms may be seen. However, a MRI is better at evaluating these disorders. The low grade pressure sensation is not typical for pain related to these disorders. Anxiety and stress can manifest as various symptoms. So to answer your question anxiety or stress could present with similar symptoms. However, this should be a diagnosis of exclusion (meaning other things should be considered first). I again would recommend that you discuss this with your primary doctor or see a neurologist to have this completely evaluated. Good luck.
I have similar feelings but it feels like I have a hat on my head, when I don't. I also get sharp stabbing pains on the side of my head that come and go.  I get migraines if I am exposed to too much light or sunlight. I still don't have a diagnosis

Take care,
The Canadian.
aneuyisms are characterized as sharp headaches - one you've never felt before.  Tumors would cause some motor problems, vision, headaches. Your symptom is most likely anxiety.
thanks for commenting:)
pan
Hmmm... I also have been getting that "hat on your head" (almost feels like a cotton ball inside my head) feeling lately, with occasional stabbing pains on the top and sides of my head. I'd be very intersted in the answer to your question. Thanks for posting it.
look up tension headaches....it feels like a vise in your head...muscular tightness........i've had them and stress and worry, head, shoulder and neck position makes them worse....good luck
Wow-I am just stunned to read a common link in all of these postings-anxiety! I am searching for some support on head pressure/ear pain/dizziness and came across this page. I am a 32 year-old female with anxiety problems. I,too,worry about brain tumors more than I care to. Of late I have had ear pain, been dizzy and have some pain behind my eyes and some muscle twitching in my face. I am always amazed to think that this could all be anxiety. In reading some other chatboards, it looks like ear disorders are higher among people with anxiety. It's kind of like what came first the chicken or the egg. Did my anxiety cause a biochemical change that brought on an ear disorder (tinnitus, Meniere's disease) or is my ear pain causing me anxiety? It's a vicious cycle. I have also read that TMJ, Mitral Valve Prolapse, Meniere's Disease,etc. occur more in people with in anxiety. Ehy is this?
i have had tmj disorder since i was about 17. (im 30 now)  that started as severe sharp pains on the left side of my head, going down into my ear and jaw.  My jaw clicks constantly on that side and i have pain in my jaw more often than not, sometimes worse than others.  I also have had headaches since i was a child that only 800 mg motrin will get rid of.  My doc says i have anxiety, but my anxiety normally presents as heart palpitations,
        This feeling on the top of my head is something new to me, not like my normal headaches and not a usual anxiety symptoms for me.  it started rather suddenly, which is why I am concerned.  sometimes i just find it hard to believe that its anxiety that causes me to feel this way.  I had a cat scan done and im really not reassured of a normal finding because im under the impression that while cat scans can show bleeds in the brain, im not sure they show the presence of an unruptured aneurysm, which is what i fear the most.  I just wish it would go away.  its not like a pain though, like I said, like a headache, just a feeling as if someone's hand is pressing on top of my head.  of course the more i think about it, the worse it is.  
      as far as getting mri's and stuff, im deathly afraid to get medical tests done, because I would not be able to handle it if they found something wrong.
thank you to the doctor and to everyone who posted a comment
regards,
Pandora.

sounds like a tension headache. they can be caused by anxiety, which is treatable.
Hi there,

I developed a pressure inside my head about 6 years ago after having a cold sore (the herpes one virus) transmitted to me from my boyfriend.  From that moment on I became hypersensitive to 98 percent of all medications (don't know if this has happened to you or not).  I still have it after seeing doctors and they tried to treat the headache/pressure with more medications.  Most of the medications they used made it worse.  So could it be the nerves in your brain have been irritated by something?  I think the Xanax might help because it may do what an antiseizure medication does (one of them ended up helping me a little).  It apparently calms down the nerves in the brain.  Have you tried an antiseizure med. like Depekane or Topomax (topamax)?

SM
i havent tried seizure medications, this started recently.
Did the HSV do something to the nerves in your brain??  
Pan

I havent taken seizure medication...this all started rather recently.
Did the HSV cause the pressure in your head??  Did it do something to your brain?  I remember having cold sores as a child, but not at the time this feeling inside my head started, that I was aware of, anyway.
Pan
Here's a site I found where they list & describe 36 types of headache: http://www.intelihealth.com/IH/ihtIH/EMIHC000/20933/20933/231464.html?d=dmtContent#

I used to have a pressure at the top of my head that didn't hurt, but when I bent over, it felt like it was going to explode.

I also used to have many episodes of those electrical shock-like "zingers" (mostly in my head, but also in my elbows, hips, and knees).

For the headaches, I've been going to a "headache and neck pain center" and getting weekly injections of miacaine (spelling?).  It's a type of freezing, similar to Lidocaine or like the kind a dentist gives you, except I have it injected all over my head - in my eyebrows, temples, cheeks, and back of my head.  It might sound silly, but I'm given a "pre-freeze" before they give me freezing (I think it may be a milder dose of the same thing, and perhaps just enough to freeze me a tad so that I don't feel the burning sensation of the "real" freeze).  

I'm also given injections in my neck and shoulders with a different medication, a sort of muscle relaxant (never asked what it was called).

The headaches (I refuse to call them "my" headaches) have dwindled considerably.  The way the doctor explained it to me, it's a "hyper nerve" that causes them, and although the freezing itself only lasts for 10 or 12 hours, having repeated injections on a weekly basis over a period of months "trains" the nerve to calm down, and over the months the nerves "learn" to "behave".  The doctor also said that because I am getting relief from the freezing, that it is definately nerve related (anything more serious, like an anurism, would not see relief from the injections).

As for the electrical shock-like "zingers" (which may only last a minute or less and are terribly painful while happening), I'm taking an anti-seizure medication which again, helps calm the nerves.  The one that I found which works for me is Epival.  Although I'm RX'd 2 tablets a day, 1 does the job and the "zingers" have gone from 30 / day down to only 2 or 3 / day.  This particular med can be awfully hard on the body though, so I need to check the levels of it in my blood every 2 or 3 months.

A "rice sock" provides relief for the headaches as well.  Here's how to make them...

*Stuff* a sock completely full with some sort of grain (NOT corn!) - a dry, UN-cooked rice does nicely (minute rice will not work). Because heated grain has a bit of an unpleasant odour, if you like you can add a few drops of a nice-smelling pot pourri oil, or even a few sprigs of lavender. Then, either use an elastic band to close the end of the sock, or tie a knot.

Since this heat pack can be used over and over again for years to come, you may want to use an additional sock as a cover so that you can pull it off to wash it.

Heat the "rice sock" in the microwave ONLY for 1 to 3 minutes... even though the rice is totally dry, it lets off steam and can burn, so be VERY CAREFUL not to heat it too long. Apply it to wherever you have pain. It'll stay hot for about 45 minutes to an hour.

I wrap one around the back of my neck and lay another over my eyes when I have a headache (the heat makes my tense muscles relax, which itself eases the pain a bit). My mother lays hers on the small of her back, or puts it across the front of the seat on her computer chair so it rests under the backs of her knees.

I hope somether here was helpful and that you find relief for the pain. Good luck!
Thank you:)
just surfing around looking for answers to my own health problems, + came accross your mail, appart from various symptons, written off by my G.P. as anxiety, I also have suffered from the same pressure sensation at the top of my head, though I don't believe I've yet had an answer to what this is, I have found help with this sympton via my Chiropractor, I am in the U.K. and was lucky to find a good honest practice, there must be some kind of central register where you are, or ask around, though nothing obvious I apparently had a slight problem at the top of my spine, my Chiropractor made some slight adjustments, and the feeling vanished!!, it did return, but after a course of treatment, I now go bi-anually for maintainance, and haven't suffered with this ''clamp round my brain'' for a long time, wishing you luck.
hi all

I have been feeling terrible since november when after a heavy night out I experienced a strange fit where I almost lost consiousness, went extremely hot and pale and basically thought I was going to croak...I also had a panic attack as I was worried at what it might be.I have been to the doctors seven times, out of hours GP and also A&E as I have this awful feeling of pressure in my head, a constant dull throbbing sensations of pressure behind my eyes and in my temples...very strange. Today is the worst and I have strange sesations in my cheeks.
A&E said I have a 'brain disease' which would go of its own accord and said it was vesticular...doctors said the same. I have been pescribed Serc, Maxalat, neurofen and today I called up my docs and they are going to try me on beta blockers. Can anyone tell me why Docs are so reluctant to send me for a CAT or MRI scan? Its really getting me down and I am worried sick that I have a brain tumor. My symptons worsen after alcohol, I have had blood tests which were normal and eye test (they said I was slightly short sighted but not serious).When I feel at my worst, I simply cannot think straight and become really narky and impatient..help! Ali x
I just read all your symptoms and comments and am much relieved.  I had migraines some years ago but lost them (gratefully) when I was pregnant with my 2nd child and they have never returned.  I, too, have had a strange feeling on top of my head for about 2 weeks. Thinking, as all of you did, that it might be an aneurysm, I was getting a little upset that it wouldn't go away.

Last night I was driving in a rainstorm on dark roads and when I returned home my head was really aching for the first time.  It is better this morning but I still feel something (not really pain) on the top of my head.  Thanks to all of you for posting you symptoms and comments. If nothing else, I feel relieved that it's nothing major.

Also, thanks to the person who posted the "rice sock" treatment. Sounds interesting.

hey everyone,
i also have been feeling that pressure in my temples and the feeling of a heavy book sitting on my head and i also suffer from anxiety. i'm a hypochondriac and often worry about diseases and tumors. has anyone ever had an MRI done with these symptoms? do you think that it may be a tumor or just something minor? i too do not want to get an MRI done, too afraid of what the outcome might be. I've also been told though that if it were a brain tumor i would probably be suffering from Gran Mal seizures and my motor skills would be off. I just need some re-assurance here. i also suffer from headaches, my mom had migraines that eventually just went away. please help!
hey everyone,
Hello.I have been reading everyones posts. I am relieved at knowing I am not crazy at some of the symptoms I am having since most of you have them as well... But maybe someone out there can help me . This is what I am feeling....
3 weeks ago I just felt out of balance. The room wasn't spinning but it felt like head sensations and dizzy. I had a bit of eye pressure and my ears felt like they do on a airplane. I was popping them like crazy trying to relieve this.

Since than my eyes feel normal and some days are much better than others but I still have these symptoms. It feels like a heavy head tingling , a little dizzy, and my ears still pop. Also my front forehead is tight a bit.  Its definately not a headache. I went to the dr's and he gave me a heavy decongestant saying that the tube in my ear might be swollen which is resulting in these symptoms. The decongestant is not working.
Is anyone out here experiencing this? I am scared something might be wrong. ButI am between careers (laid off airline worker) and currently I am not insured so I am afraid they will want to send me in for very expensive mri's etc..

Nancy
I'm 40 year old female and I'm also experiencing these
weird sensations on the top of my head like someone is
rubbing my head, and I feel a slight pinching sensation around my
left ear.  No pain or headaches however.  I also
feel these sensations in my neck and shoulder, my side
and leg.  These sensations around my shoulders feels like slight pressure like I'm wearing a heavy jacket or coat on my shoulders.  I was recently diagnosed with Anixety and was put on prescription of 20gm of Lexapro.  It has not really helped me.
WOW!  Reading through these postings, I have many of the same symptoms.  The pressure on top of head thing,feeling like wearing a hat, the ear thing, lightheadedness, nausea, etc.  ( even a drop of alcohol intensifies all of this 10 fold!)
Of course, they tell me that mine is a CSF leak caused from a sinus surgery, they cannot confirm it.  I have also been told that it was migraine, possible demyelinating disease, seizures etc and  none of those have been proven either nor the treatments have any effect.
I am scared too because it just will not go away and is disrupting my entire life.  I feel as if I am starting to go crazy now just dealing with it.
Good luck to everyone.  Hopefully one day we can all find relief, closure and the help we desperately need!
After reading these posts, I feel like I'm not the only one to experience this pressure on the top of my head.  My problem has been attributed to anxiety and stress after the death of several people close to me, my father being the closest.  I started experiencing this pressure 2 months after his death. There are days that I dont have it all and other days it stays with me all day.  I am currently taking 10mg of Lexapro and it does alleviate it, but it doesnt go completely away.  It seems to hinge on what I have going on in my life at a particular time.  I'd appreciate any responce if anyone experiences the same.
I have been having palpitations, feelin off balanced and pressure on the top of my head that would sometimes turn into a regular headache. Also I have noticed a ringing in my ear. I've been to the er many times and they sent me home saying they could find nothing wrong with me. Some days i feel a little better but the palpitations are always there and the head presure/headache is always there. Ive been having these symptoms for about a month  and i really dont think all this can come form anxiety can it?
but the doctors ran blood test chest xrays and found nothing!!!!! I am really frustrated is this all in my head am i going crazy? If there is anybody in a situation similar to mines a responce would be greatly apreciated.

You were talking about if anyone ever
had an MRI done before.
well,i had one when i was 11 or 12 yrs old.
You were right about the tumor part.
about how they cause seizures.
when i had A CAT scan done,nothing showed up
on it,it only showed on the MRI.
Don't really relate on the other problems.Good Luck!
28 yr old male, Had a pop in my head last November, shooting pains in temples and head, had viral meningism! Numb fingers now and then, still have bunged up head but generally better all round. Anxiety is a real pain to beat, worry about my 9 mercury fillings now.
I was diagnosed with Cavernous sinus thrombosis. The Doctors said it was related to post pregnancy. I am 22 years old, and have suffered from headaches that only vikodin can releave. I have had a sharp pain on the top of my head, that comes and goes, my head also feels very heavy on my neck. My vision is still disturbed. There is also an increase in pressure in my head, behind my right eye, my right ear, and on the right side of my head. I had three minor strokes in March, and feel as though my symptoms are getting worse. CT scan never showed anything, MRI scan showed the problem.
Elizabeth
I have only started getting the feeling of having a hat on my head very recently. I'm 52 and stopped taking HRT a couple of months ago. I'm putting it down to that really. It's not there when I wake up but comes on mid-way through the morning. I find it really irritating because it stops me relaxing. I sort of feel on edge with it. It feels as though someone's pulling the hair on top of my head. I find if I hold the top of my head it relieves it a bit. It's so difficult to describe that it's good to see other people telling the same story - it's not a headache at all. Has anyone found any relief other than prescribed medicines?
Hello. I too have these pressure "pains" on the top of my head, the hat feeling, but also extending down the back and the sides of the head. I too am worried and (groaning inwardly) think "tumour", "the end is nigh", "I'm too young to die" (46) etc. I too have been to the doc and he said "there's nothing to worry about. 95% of headaches are harmless". Well, this does not please me. I'm going back for a second opinion.

Thinking about causes:
(1) I got a bump on the crown of my head from a steel girder Nov 2003. I staggered and I think these pains have been around since then. The doc says "if it had been anything worse you would have had a fit, things would have got worse pretty quickly".
(2) Taking mild anti-depressants. Does this do something to the brain/neurological chemistry/muscular apparatus?
(3) Easily stressed sort of person and I am changing my career soon (going to Africa to teach) though I don't consciously feel too stressed about it.

What is good is that this thing is not unique to myself. There are other so called hypochondriacs out there who feel the same things. (How often one gets labelled a hypochondriac by friends and colleagues for who symptoms like this are a complete mystery).

Regards etc
I have had pressure on op of my head for 4 weeks now .my right feels full.It all started when I went sky diving .I have fullness in my right ear and feels sore.I have had a head CT nad .And every blood test possibale all provong nad.My right side gets burning sensation all over it .can any one help

I don't know whether I felt relieved or more worried after reading the thread concerning head pressure.  I have had anxiety/panic attacks for about 6 months, but I did not think my present symptoms were psychological.  I have been on medicine for high blood pressure for about two months, EKG is normal.  About a week ago, I was hit by constant dizziness and pressure along the back of my head.  The doctor said my ears look fine, but the dizziness is getting worse as days go by.  I have an MRI tomorrow afternoon.  I guess I'll see then what shows up, if anything.
HI. Im 21 and also have the same symptoms.. I have the pressure on my head and the pressure on my ears like they constantly need to be unplugged and i always feel sick cause im worried i have a tumor. The only difference is i had a Grand Mal Seizure and had a CT scan and it showed nothing. The symptoms didnt come till almost 8 months after the seizure though so they tell me its anxiety. Does anyone think this sounds like a tumor? I also have a new baby so are these symptoms common for anxiety> Please Help:(
OMG I am not alone..... I too just had a baby, and my headaches started while i was pregnant about 28 weeks, they had me on nifedipine and terbutaline to stop my labor. The headaches went away after i delivered her but came back about 2 months ago, she is now almost 4 months. I went to the my doctor and he said the headaches were just from the stress of the labor and becomming a new parent. I wanted him to do an MRI but he said he did not feel the need to do one, so I went to another doctor by this time i felt dull aches in my ears, he didnt want to do an MRI or a CT scan, but i told him I was going nutty not nothing if I might have a tumor, so he did a CT scan, and it did come back normal.... This week  I am having pressure in the back of my eyes, went to the eye doctor said i had a small floater in my eye, nothing harmful at all, i do need to wear glasses though. I am told by alot of people that a headache is the last cause of a tumor, it starts off with seizures and vommiting up blood.... All this is just too much for me to handle, all i do is think about it whick i am sure it makes it worse, so i am going to the doctor tomorrow and demanding an MRI.... I just want to know what is wrong with me. The doctor wanted me to go to phyical therapy, but that was a month ago, and i just got in, so my appointment is on friday. He did give me pain medication vicodin, but i cant really take it because i need to be alert, like i said i have a new baby, seems to me like he would have given me a simple MRI rather than drug me up, that didnt make sense. Well if anyone wants to talk anytime, email me ***@****. I will post an update tomorrow when i get back from the doctors. take care everyone
I just wanted to comment on the aneurysm questions. I am 37 and was diagnosed with 3 cerebral aneurysms 2 years ago. I have had migraines most of my life and continue to, my neurologist said that I would continue to have them that they did not occcur from the anerysms. I had a ct scan which  diagnosed one then a MRA showed 2, after an arteriogram, it showed I had 3 in which I was probably born with them. My father passed away at 40 with a ruptured one. I did have a GDC coiling procedure done  2 years ago on the largest one that was 8.5 mm and it went wrong and i ended up having a stroke at the age of 35. I m still disabled but thanking GOD daily for my life.
All I can say to any of you is that if you have any questions, if you have any  family history, I never had the syptoms (symptoms) like the hat feeling, I mainly had headaches all my life, see a neurologist and do not wait.It is better to be safe than sorry. If you catch it before anything goes wrong or it ruptures, your chances are alot greater. If an aneuryam ruptures, your chances are slim making it through the surgery.My father is an example of that, I guess that is why I went ahead and tried to have mine fixed because I was so young.I know GOD has a plan for me, I know him and use him alot more now than I did before so I know I will be fine.  Don't let what happened to me scare you off because mine was just a freak accident, I just happened to be the one it went wrong on.
Wow...Im glad Im not the only one suffering.

Im a 20 Year old male form Australia.

When I first fell ill with my problems which was abou 4 years ago at the age of 16. I used to panic what was wrong with me. I thought I had Meningitus, Brain tumours or Glandular fever etc. I thought I had cancer cause I developed a Hormonal lump on my Breast and I am a Male. I do crave sugar and thought it was Diabetes....

This depression or illness i had made me develop an Anxiety.

At times I have felt a little bit better but never been well to what I used to be.

I have taken Zoloft, Roaccutanne(For acne has had known side effects to cause depression and suicidal tendencies)

At the moment I am 20 and dont feel as though I am anxious Because I try not to worry what the problem is etc ..but I still have the symptoms and it affects me cause I cant work...I yawn all the time.

SYMPTOMS:

Pressure in ForeHead and temple. Heavy Sensation..Like a Tension Headache.
Pressure behind eyes. Heavy
Tired, Unmotivated
Hard time Conentrating or Reading  
(Feel like Im looking through the words or a weird vision Dizzyness)
Cannot focus or stare at objects..Eyes seem to want to look away or focus infront or behind..I guess they are strained or Fatigued
I am a Perfectionist..but Trying not to be lol
Constant Blocked nose

My sleeping patterns are bad. I do go out a bit and usualyl sleep for 4 hours a night..then sleep in some mornigsn till lunch time..But my system is set to wake up after 3-4 hours of sleep lol..

If I put my own pressure or a heat bag on my head it takes the pressure away a bit but comes back.

I list possible causes at the moment

Double Jointed in shoulder blades..Probly neck and back is out because I can use my arms and skip with them while keeping my hands together. I do have poor posture at the moment.
Anxiety disorder..Worry too much
Depression
Play alot of games. Watch TV and use the computer.
Genetics..Parents on Zoloft.
Other causes unknown etc..

What can I do :(..Im about to try Aurorix

Has anyone heard of this site

www.actionlove.com  

Apparently DR LIN says he can cure my symptoms but I worry abou drug interactions and safety over the net. His medication is unheard of but it sounds great. But is hormonal growth safe?

I just want to be able to feel well. :(...I have only had blood testsbut I am sure its not fatal or anything and I have a feeling its depression or back and neck probs. I just want to get better. Is it worth to get on Anti Depressants? If I stop them with the withdrawal symptoms. :(
I have had this condition for a week, I think.In April, got dizzy, had bad tachycardia and spike in BP. My Dr started me on 2nd medicine (Toprol). Last week, I felt the same sensations, dizzy, felt like head was exploding, ears ringing, flushing of skin and sever spike in BP...177/121. This happened three times. Daily, I have "numbness" in top of scalp, feeling of pressure on right side, no pain, seems to be worse in morning and get better at night. On occasion, I get a "ringing" in ears and have noticed BP spikes from 117/73 to 145/94 in 2 hours. I had CT scan and blood tests. NADA. Today, I'm getting an "event monitor" and an MRI. Will post later.
Today is the third day I am experiencing heavy pressure on the top of my head. Not really like a headache, but it feels as though I have hit my head.It began after working in the flowers early in the day, but it was humid and I got very hot. I take Toprol,Hyzarr and Potassium. The past week I have taken Trimspa. This pressure is also made worse by bright lights, noise and bending over. Overall, I just feel tired and this pressure extends to my jaw at times. I have TMJ and had a root canal 2 weeks ago. What do you think?
hi everyone reading some of your posts ive noticed a alot of symptoms of psuedo tumorceribri the pressure in the head feels like your heads going to explode when you bend over sounds in the ears and pain in the eyes and alot of others.to make a long story short if thats what you maybe experiencing  you should go to your doctors.Nothing shows up on an mri or ct i've had 6 ct and 2 mri its a condition of to much  ceribrial fluid that pushs on the nervs in the brain and spinal cord and can give a realy sore neck  realy tight and stiff you should look it up if your interested it can be diagnosed by a lumbar puncture (ouch). I hope none of you have it ,having it myself i can tell you it's realy shity and no cure for it and doctors are not knowledgable about it.
Hello, again. I've just finished a 24-hr urine, CTscan, MRI and event monitor. Everything is normal. Last Sunday , I had 2 episodes. My neighbor, who is doing residency, told me she saw another patient with my symptoms, and it was a migraine attack that was initiated by a spike in estrogen. Since then, I have been researching this diagnosis and it makes a lot of sense. I am 49 and am in "peri-menopause" meaning that I am having some hot spells and irregular periods. I have had headaches prior to cycles in the past, which are "migraine' in nature due to vascular condition. When I have these attacks, I feel like my head is exploding, but I don't have nauseating pain, just a dull ache afterwards. This doctor told me that the degree of pain varies in patients. The fact that it is happening in only the right side of my head is significant. Also, when I have too much wine, it seems worse. I have now stopped the red wine, aged cheese, soy sauce and am watching diet closely for triggers.
Pino84:

I guarantee that it'll be the excess use of the computer. If you use a computer for more than 7 hours a day, or watch television for that long it's going to do bad things.

Myself, personally, I use it over 12 hours a day because I need it because of my living. I have a strange pressure feeling on the top of my head, find it hard to focus my eyes on something for a certain length of time (especially a monitor screen or a television), the closer I am too the screen the worse it is as well (the focus thing, not the pressure).

If i press on my head the pressure goes away, but does come back after not very long, but it comes back with a pain which stays for a minute or two so I don't do that anymore.

Give it a try, go for a even something as little as a few days without using a monitor screen, looking at a television or anything like that and I guarantee that the pressure feeling will go away.

Since I know this is how it works for me, I've started to cut down on the amount I use my computer, and use alternative methods, such as if I need to type up a report, i'll take a break from the computer, make a cup of coffee, sit and chill with some music and draft up my report on paper first.

The best things I can suggest are:

1. Use your computer for no more than 10 hours a day MAX (that including breaks).
2. Take regular breaks every hour or two (don't go stupid and do what other people say and have one hour on and one hour off, cos it's just not needed). People say you should take breaks, and it is true because your eyes will become strained and tired and you could even cause blindness by burning your retina. I myself, use the computer for 1-2 hours, then I find other things that I can do, although still in relation to my computer, such as like I mentioned above by drafting up my reports on paper first them type them out on the computer after i've had a break.
3. Do not press on your head because it gives a few minutes relief from the pressure.
4. If you do have pressure on your temple and it's really getting too you, take a break from the computer and try taking something like Ibuprofen (consult your doctor prior).
5. Sit the required distance away from your monitor that makes it less of a strain on your eyes.
6. Make sure you monitor is above 72 Hz in refresh rate. TV's, If I remember right, run at 50 Hz as standard, or they do in the UK, so thats even worse ... try not to think that you can take a break from your computer and go watch tv, because it's going to make it worse.

Try not too worry about it, i'm sure that once you start using your computer and watching tv less, the pressure will start to get alot better and wont be there as much, although it'll still be there sometimes, you're just going to have to live with it as I have too.

I hope those pointers helped anyway, as I spent weeks trying different things and found that basically the less I look at a monitor screen, the better my head feels. Try to get some exercise as well .. nothing makes you feel more refreshed and alive than getting some decent exercise .. maybe such as a 30 min jog or a game of football.

Also about the Ibuprofen, I've heard that you shouldn't take them too much as they can do bad things to the lining of your stomach walls ... however, if you need to take some definetly consult your doctor beforehand.

Again, try not to worry .. just try to forget about the pressure. I know it's hard sometimes as i've been there myself, and still am there myself dealing with it. Worrying will only make it worse anyway, so just do something on your breaks to take your mind of it .. like go out to your friends house, or go to the pub or something like that, or even listening to some music and air guitaring - which is my personal favourite ;)

Good luck
A related discussion, 'bubble' feeling in head was started.
A related discussion, Could this be a tumer was started.
A related discussion, daily headaches was started.
A related discussion, head pressure on top of head was started.
A related discussion, Feels giddiness and pulling feeling in head was started.
hi mii name is ceecee. i am a 21 yr old college student i recently got a new job and on the job you have to look at the computer screens alot and last month in march i caught 2 bad sinus infections and after that my allergies have been kicking my butt. lately ive been feeling wierd. my head feels pressure between the ears and my head feels tingly at times and i get hot sensations n pressure in one spot on top of my head. this morning i had a bad dream and it felt like something popped around that same area but i woke up and nothing was there. am i going to be ok or should i go get checked? im very GOD fearing n believe in his will so im going to put things in his will but still being human i get scared. i just wanted to hear a doctors opinion if someone wouldnt mind sharing?
I am having the exact same symptoms! It's scaring me! As we speak, I am having that burning sensation on the top of my head. I am also experiencing it at the back of my head at times. Left side only. I also have pressure in my left ear most times. I also have dry eyes too! It's causing me to have bad panick attacks and pain and strange sensations in my arms at times. I am under alot of stress right now, but always lead a stressful, panicky type lifestyle. So why do I feel this way now???
A related discussion, pressure feeling on top of head was started.
A related discussion, anxiety and head pressure was started.