ptc and shunts
I have Psuedo Tumor Cerebri.  I have done all there is to do for it, and yet it still is rather severe.  I have lost weight, (back to my before baby weight)  I have been on Diamox, right now I am maxed out at 3 grams daily. I also have a VP shunt that is working. (this one is my 4th in 3 yrs.)  However I am still needing LPs about 2-3 times a month, and my CSF pressures are usually in the 50's and out the top of the monometer.  My neurosurgeon is suggesting a lp shunt as well.  Have you ever heard of someone having both shunts, or is there something else out there?  I am feeling desperate at this point, I don't want to go blind, and I want to be back on my feet for my family.  Please let me know if you know of any more that can be done.
Hi brookie,
How are you feeling now?
The majority of patients are young, female, and obese. Treatment with a carbonic anhydrous inhibitor such as acetazolamide lowers intracranial pressure (which you are already on) by reducing the production of CSF. Weight reduction is exceedingly important (as you told you have gone back to babies weight) but often unsuccessful.
If acetazolamide and weight loss is unsuccessful and still visual loss is progressive, Lumboperitoneal shunting or optic nerve sheath fenestration should be undertaken without delay, when required, to prevent blindness.
Hope this helps.
Bye.
Has anyone ever joined the military with a Lp shunt?