Neurology Expert Forum
"Sleeping" legs

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

"Sleeping" legs

I have a progressive disorder"consistent with primary progressive MS". That is as definite as I have gotten.My main complaint was pain, specifically lower back and knees.Both knees get varying degrees of stiffness and numumbness along with both feet, and tingling in my calves.I am currently taking baclofen and was taking neurontin but it was messing up my balance so I stopped. My knees became increasingly more uncomfortable like many Ace bandages wrapped around them tightly. I was told to restart the neurontin and I have been taking 300mg. every 12 hours(all I can tolerate and not fall over.)
     My knees feel a bit better but lately one leg has been falling asleep at nights. It has happened to both legs but fortunately not at the same time. I wake up feelig as though the leg is paralyzed and have to pull it off the side of the bed and massage the feeling back. I have always thought of limbs falling "asleep"as being a circolatory thing, but never really understood the physiology behind it. I am just sleeping, usually on my back to help reduce the back pain. Is this just another "pain" I have to deal with in PPMS, or could it have something to do with restarting the neurontin, or is this some other problem all together?? It really ruins a night sleep. Is there a suggestion to prevent it? I have never had the problem before.
     I also have one other question that is somewhat strange. Does MS interfere with a body perspiring? I ask that because I no longer seem to sweat even when the humidity was so high every one around me was dripping.
    Thank you so much for your input!  

_
Dear Karen,
Thank you for your question. This sensation of "sleeping legs" can occur in MS, along with the numbness / tingling that you are mentioning. Since this is a new symptom, it would be better to rule out a circulatory problem, which your doctor can do easily by examining you, and ordering a few simple tests if necessary. Abnormal sensations can respond to Neurontin, but 600 mg per day is probably not enough to get a good effect. We also use other medications, such as Amitriptyline or Tegretol, for abnormal sensations. If the muscles of your legs get tight, performing stretching exercises in the morning and evening can help. It is important to monitor the evolution of your symptoms over time. They certainly fluctuate from day to day, but if you have a sense of overall worsening, it could be useful to be re-examined by your neurologist.
Decreased perspiration has been reported in MS, and is probably due to a dysfunction in a specific part of the nervous system.
I hope this helps.