Neurology Community
raised protein in csf

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

raised protein in csf

my daughter had a grade 4 bleed in the brain after being born prematurely, she now has hydrocephalus and had to wait for the protein level in the csf to come down. it eventually came down to 1430 and she had a shunt fitted, 2 weeks later this blocked and she had to have it revised.  There became a collection of fluid around the site and her csf was found to have more protein (7600).  Can you help? what may be the cause of this sudden rise? Can baby formula thats high in protein possibly affect this? I am extremely concerned and would be grateful for any help or advice
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine her I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that she needs, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about her health concern.

It appears that she has meningitis condition that has elevated the protein level that needs to be evaluated thoroughly with the help of a doctor. However, in Hydrocephalus cerebrospinal fluid gets abnormally accumulated in the brain cavities.  This may cause increased intra cranial pressure leading to headache, convulsions, mental disability etc. It is constantly being formed in the ventricles of brain and drained out to circulatory system through special foramens and they can be enlarged. Hydrocephalus occurs due to either blockage of these foramens or overproduction of CSF. The treatment of hydrocephalus is surgical shunt placement. An alternative treatment for obstructive hydrocephalus is endoscopic third ventriculostomy but it may not be applicable to all patients depending upon internal anatomy of brain. Hope this information proves helpful.