recieved TBI when thrown from my horse and no sence of smell
I recieved a TBI when I was thrown from my horse when she was spooked 11 months ago.  I had a broken skull behind my left ear, two brain bleeds, a slight midline shift plus other injuries.  I spent 3 1/2 weeks in 3 different hospitals (I don't remember the first 1 1/2 weeks or even the day of the injury).  Because I was on asprin and plavix, the Dr's didn't want to try any surgery.  It wasn't until I left the hospital that I realized I couldn't smell anything, and that was why my meals in the hospital didn't taste very good.  My husband (a registered nurse) said something about the nerve endings in the cribaform plate being injured or sheared as to why I couldn't smell anything and my taste was greatly subdued.  I also began to notice, a short while later, some very odd smells.  I asked my husband if he smelled anything. He didn't smell anything unusual. It was starting to really become annoying.  My Dr. suggested, when I complained of the problem to him, that it could possibly be a "phantom" smell such as phantom pain for amputees.  He suggested that I take Zinc to possibly help re-grow the nerves that were either damaged or sheared, even though he couldn't promise it would work. I took Zinc pretty faithfully, but 11 months later, the only smells I still have are the "phantom" smells.. I have come to terms with never smelling anything I loved (or disliked) again and tolerating phantom smells as well. I did loose weight to begin with due to things not tasting the same, but I realized even though I can't smell my food, I found I still enjoyed eating. I started to notice that there were other things I began to notice like texture and other things.  If there is some way I could recieve my sense of smell back I would be interested. I would love to be able to smell baking bread, flowers, barbequed burgers etc.