recovery from minor stroke.
My mother had a minor stroke on the 18/11/10 . She is 63 yrs. old. She was hospitilised there after. Treatement started after a MRI on the 19/11/10 at night . Some basic treatement was done by this time. Her right eye lid has closed & she has difficulty in opening & keeping it open. Her left eye is open through which she can see  us. But her eye ball is not rotating freely. It is moving up & down only. She is a diabetic patient for a long time. She was having high power in her eyes.
I want to know what is to be done to recover from her eye problem & how long will it take ? What particular care is needed to be taken in such a case .
Plese help me.
Hi there. Your mother sustained a stroke following which she had ptosis in her right eyelid. Is her diabetes under check and does she have concomitant hypertension? Ptosis is transient and common in patients with large, hemispheric strokes. Ptosis can occur with either right or left sided infarction, but is more complete with right sided infarcts. Care of the eye includes adequate taping and lubricant eye gel to sooth it and keeping it hydrated. This also protects the cornea etc from any injury. The other morbidities need to be checked and kept under control like diabetes and if present, hypertension. Let an ophthalmologist examine her both eyes including retina and posterior chamber to rule out any vitreal hemorrhage or retinal detachment.