Neurology Community
replacement of head plate

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

replacement of head plate

My husband is 46 yrs old and has a titanium plate on his head from an accident when he was 12 yrs. old.  In 1998 he had a shunt put in because of headaches and questionable hydrocephalus.  Needless to say for about a year he had problems with this and then they took it out permanently and ended up with a tumor in the ventricles and now it is starting to grow also caused him to have partial seizures.  

My husband went to a neurosurgeon about on an unrelated problem.  He went to see about getting a device to stop his tremors on his right side that was caused from the accident as a child.  The neurosurgeon said he would have to take the metal plate out, cut out the tumor then replace the metal plate with a plastic plate.  He also told him it would help with his headaches.

What I like to know can there be anymore brain damage and worse seizures when replacing the plate and taking out the tumor?

Thank you for any response

I was diagnosed at 19 with a rare type of tumor, Central Neural Cytoma. I was operated on, a plate put in place, then 2 days later had to go back in due to a blood clot causing problems. The plate had to be removed in order for them to go back in and i was out of the hospital in 3 weeks. I then underwent radio surgery a year later, but went back in 6 months after that due to a cyst. The drs had to remove the plate a 2nd time to have access to my brain. Each time they went back in, they found a little more tumor and removed it. Now, I do have 1 advantage on my side....my age. This all started when i was 19...im now 27 with no migraines, no headaches, no head pain period. I do occasionaly get a migraine but i know what caused it, either lack of sleep or dehydration. The only problem i faced after my surgeries, I had to go through rehab which included speech, physical, mental, and occupational. My rehab lasted 2 and a half years but it was worth it. Since being out i have worked in manufacturing plants and warehouses. All of this was accomplished due to my strength to prove my doctors wrong whom had given me a 15% chance to walk again. So as for your question, no. It will not cause any problems. The only issue lies the tumor. Where its located, its surroundings, how they have to remove it. Those things. Hopefully this helped and I hope your husband and you the best of luck.