Neurology Expert Forum
residual effects of embolic stroke...
About This Forum:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

residual effects of embolic stroke...

Re: residual effects of embolic stroke...

[ Follow Ups ] [ Post Followup ] [ Neurology and Neurosurgery Forum ] [ FAQ ]

Posted by CCF MD on February 13, 1998 at 15:15:02:

In Reply to: residual effects of embolic stroke... posted by lrc on February 08, 1998 at 23:09:36:

: I am a 29 yr. old female who suffered an embolic stroke at the age of 22.  After much "sleuthing", my neurology team concluded that the infarct in my cerebellum was caused by Mitral Valve Prolapse and reguritation (plus atrial fibrillation). The stroke has left me with constant/unchanging vertigo. Testing has shown it is neurological in nature vs. inner ear related.  Three years ago I had a neurological episode (for lack of better words) that caused sudden pain to form a band around and through my head above my eyes..in the forehead region.  The pain has been constant and unchanging (except for my awareness/attention to it).  We have tried an extensive list of meds. with no relief.  Neurontin did help for a while to put the head pain in the back of my mind.  But, due to some adverse reactions to Neurontin, my neurologists took me off of it.  They feel the head pain may be related to the stroke, or damage area, but have become frustrated with what steps to take next.  I have been through some thorough testing (MRI,MRA,MRV,cerebral angiogram, etc.). We were all relieved when vascuitis and aneurysm were ruled out!
  Any insight to why certain residual effects linger long after the initial episode, and how some new ones can pop up out of nowhere?  Any pt.'s with similar experiences?  It is hard to explain how my head pain is constant, 24 hours a day...same with the vertigo.  Thanks for responding!
  Take Care-
  LRC
================================================================================================
Thanks for the question LRC. Although there is a literature on MVP and strokes I would venture to say
that atrial fibrillation in general is a much more common cause. As you know the cerbellum is involved with
balance and can be the cause of vertigo how long it will last is anyones guess. The head pain may represent
chronic tension headache - I'm glad bad things were rulled out. In general headache is not a common post stroke
complaint unless bleeding has been involved. You may wish to consider a referral to a headache centre. If you would like a referral to CCF cal 216 444 5559.
Best of luck. This information is provided for general medical education purposes only. Please consult your
physician for diagnostic and treatment options of your specific medical condition.