rib fracture related to spinal fluid leak
I recently took a bad tumble down some rocks hitting my knee, back and ended up with bad bruising, fractured vertebrae, and whiplash plus a concussion. I also suspect a spinal fluid leak. I know that sounds weird but I've had multiple leaks, some for months and with many blood patches and once with a ten day stay where they drained fluid off every hour at Mayo. Have had about eight surgeries some inside the cord to untether it and to remove a tumor. I am implanted with a spinal cord stimulator. I was born with a tethered cord. Lots of scar tissue and tissue doesn't heal well when a needle is put in for a myelogram. Could the fractured rib poke and cause a leak? Or possibly the fall pulled at the scar tissue created the leak. Any ideas out there?
Hi there!

Well, without a detailed clinical evaluation it would be difficult to comment specifically on the situation. Spontaneous leak is unusual without direct trauma and fracture segment piercing all layers is unlikely. Scar tissue pull, injuries to ligaments/ tendons with/ without associated inflammation is a more likely possibility. I would suggest considering a detailed evaluation by a traumatologist (ER) for an accurate diagnosis and appropriate management.
Hope this is helpful.

Take care!