Neurology Expert Forum
right shoulder spasm feel like a bee sting

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I am experiencing right shoulder pain, spasm like the feels like a bee sting. It is starting to happen more. What is this?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Pain in the shoulder can be of many causes. If it radiates and follows a particular nerve pattern, i.e., a dermatome, it may be a cervical nerve impingement. Other causes could be from a rotator cuff injury, capsulitis, or brachial plexus injury. The diagnosis would rely on the exact location of the pain and the examination. However, it does not sound like you have these from your description. Another possibility could be arthritis of the glenohumeral, sternoclavicular, or acromioclavicular joints. This would be diagnosed by xray of the shoulder. Causes of the arthritis can be long standing repetitive motion. It can be treated conservatively with NSAIDs and physical therapy. Intra-articular cortisone injections maybe used to relieve the inflammation. If patients fail conservative treatment, surgery is an option.  

I recommend that you follow up with your PCP.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.