Neurology Community
right side of jaw and eye pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

right side of jaw and eye pain

what causes me to have pain on the right side of my jaw (upper) and when i get this pain i also get headache and pain behind my right eye.  This has been going on for the last few months.     i get this a few times a week

any help would be greatful   thanks

jay
Avatar n tn
Dear Jay, I once experienced  these symptoms and visited my ENT Doctor. It turned out to be a case of TMJ. Isuggest you visit an oral surgeon who will do a thorough examination of your jaw to determine the diagnosis.Good luck and the best of health.
I had a severe injury to the jaw during a standard wisdom tooth extraction.  

In addition to Jaw pain and facial pain, I experienced Eye pain and ear pain.

TMJ is not a diagnosis. It is just a description of symptoms. It is almost a joke.  At first everyone is happy to hear there is a name for what one has because it makes one think that a cause and a remedy or at least an amelioration is also known. Not so with TMJ. I believe calling my suffering TMJ did not help any, did not lead to any suggestions that lessened pain, and instead lead to, in some cases, erroneous assumptions of tooth-grinding.

Not only did I not have any recollection of  having ever have ground teeth in response to stress or otherwise, I also had no dental signs of tooth grinding as my teeth were observed to be sharp and have normal shape and pits, not flat.  Not to mention the obvious - that  I was 100% perfectly normal before the injury (extraction), but in total hell afterward.  

These idiot doctors suggested mouth appliances for my jaw which, in its fragile state, dislocated as a result.

Sometimes doctors don't have common sense. Keep that in mind.
Avatar dr m tn
If this is not a severe pain but nagging it may be due to your maxillary sinus problem.
Please visit an ENT specialist for the diagnosis.

You recall if you had any injury to the jaw bone, or below the ear, then there is a possibility of a dislocation, but the injury should be very strong as small injuries do not cause dilocations of jaw bone.

Take some pain killers and have yourself scanned and follow the instructions of the clinician and you will be ok.

Come back to us if you have further queries.
Avatar n tn
My husband has  pain on the right side of his jaw (upper) and when he get this pain he also get's headache and pain behind my right eye.  This has been going on for years.  Sometimes it's on his left sidebut notas severe.  He has seen a Neurologist intoronto for Tramilgia Neuraligia andthat was ruled out.  then he seen another specialist for TMJ and that was rules out...help....

Without a personal evaluation it is not possible to give a definitive diagnosis, but what I perceive that should be done is to have an MRI of the TM joints to confirm the diagnosis of the dysfunction. I highly recommend this 1st then you will know for sure whether or not this may be the problem.Please visit you ENT of TMJ dental specialist for full diagnosis and treatment.

To Cocoa: You may not have had a good experience with the doctor but please do not give up on all of them. The splint that may have been suggested for you is like having a cast placed on you broken arm so that you do not over use or put you into a position that would further harm that part of your body. Some have knowledge of the problem but not all have wisdom and understanding to treat all cases. I hope you will have someone re-evaluate you disorder for I want you to get better asap. If you want to know some docs in your area let me know and I will recommend some.

Good luck and God Bless
Hey guys, i had the same problem.......intense pain in my right eye- right part of forehead, and upper right jaw.
i figured out it was because one of my upper right molar teeth had decayed and the infection had reached roots.....which was causing all of this.....

but today i went through first phase of root canal treatment, after which i`m feeling bit at ease.