Neurology Community
right wrist simply hangs limp and is of no use

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Can my limp wrist that simply hangs down with no movement on its own be the result of a pinched nerve, and if so, where would the pinched nerve likely to be? In the spine? Or in the wrist itself? I am baffled and am waiting to see a neurologist as a referral from my oncologist. her educated guess is that it is likely a pinched nerve but she did not elaborate on the subject and I'm just curious if anyone has any input in the matter. --fingers are starting to have some controlled movement from my working out in swimming pool and I am able to grasp and release a soda can now. There is no pain or swelling. And I can manipulate the right wrist with left hand into any position but it will not stay--it falls limp. I woke up like this 2 mos ago. ....I am a leukemia patient for 10 yrs now and have responded well to my treatment protocol. Also on my latest CBC last week my WBC's are elevated and I'm wondering if it could be from the trauma of the wrist to the body? My WBC's are never high--first time in 10 yrs since I was dx''d with leukemia....This is my first time to this site and I can only hope I am doing this properly! Thanks, McGuire.

Welcome to the forum!  I am sorry to hear about your wrist problem and your battle with your medical condition.  It must be very difficult.

I am glad your oncologist has referred you to a neurologist for your wrist.  You can have pinched nerves from your neck down into your arm that can cause nerve dysfunction.

Your neurologist will probably want to do an EMG and nerve conduction study on your arm.  This can determine pinched nerves and other disease of the nerves.

I too have had this test done and it is not that bad at all.  I had the test looking for any carpal tunnel disease.

Please take care and I hope the neurologist can find the problem.... If I can help you out any further, please feel free to contact me.

terri
Terri thanks for the info. I have done some research recently and discovered something called "drop wrist" which is basically the same as drop foot which stems from pinched nerve in lumbar and mine would be coming from cervical pinched nerve. it all makes since. i broke my back many yrs ago and have 12 inch rods in it. I do fine, but I do have neck probs all the time. In any case I am to see Oncologist tomorrow ans next week I see my primary care physician--still waiting  for neurology to call me to set up appt. Just glad there is no discomfort associated with this.
Take care and nice meeting you.
Mimi
      I am wondering if you could help me. I have been diagnosed with carpal tunnel syndrome and I also have a bulging herniated disc in my neck. Once in a while I will wake in the middle of the night and my right wrist will by totally limp and I cannot move it. I want to know if this has anything to do with the conditions that I already have or if thus could be something else.
                                                                       Thank you
                                                                        Renee