s1 nerve damage after spinal fusion
Hi, my husband had L5s1 spinal fusion in January, after much complaining of no feeling in his right leg, his surgeon said we didn't operate on the right side, I don't understand why you have pain there. He finally sent him to a neurologist for an EMG.  The tests showed he has severe nerve damage and since an MRI ruled out compression, the neurologist said the only other way for this injury to happen was for the nerve to have been stretched during surgery or a traumatic injury.  Is this a normal side effect? What are chances of the feeling coming back? Is there any treatment?
Thank you for any help you give.
I don't think this is a normal side effect. If it didn't happen before surgery then it should not have happened now. There is hope though. As long as the nerve was not severely damaged it can heal but it is a slow process. He should as his dr for some safe exercises to help increase the blood flow and keep inflammation down. Also complex B 12 vitamins give nerve support and they do work. However the vitamin therapy can be painful if the nerves are still being pulled. If the damage has effected his walking ect I would really encourage him to get into a good physical therapy program. However do not let them push him into doing things against his doctors advice. If he does go to pt have him get a list of his restrictions from his doctor to show the therapist. I learned this the hard way and it is not a lesson I will ever repeat. Also Black cherry extract helps a lot with inflammation and potassium and magnesium help lessen bone spurs ect that can build up over time but a good multivitamin will have those. Best wishes, Sissie
thank you so much for your help. Sissie
Reenma
You are welcome I hope he is doing better and continues to improve. Best wishes, Sissie