Neurology Expert Forum
sarcoidosis

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

sarcoidosis

My question is this.  Is there any record of sarcoidosis causing PN in the extremities?
  In Jan 1997, I had a lot of pain in my back followed by numbness in left arm and then
  the right arm.  After two weeks, the numbness went to my legs and finally settled in my right foot.
  I am not able to walk barefooted.  The pain was incredible.  A muscle/nerve biopsy was done and
  a lot of muscle damage showed up.  Since I had sarcoidosis in the skin back in 1991, that is what
  "they" determined that this problems with the PN was also sarcoidosis.
  Thanks for clearing it up if you can.
  Jean
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Hello Jean,
Neurological complications of sarcoidosis include meningitis, cerebritis, cranial nerve damage, mononeuritis multiplex, and peripheral neuropathy--- in essence it can affect almost any portion of the nervous system, although generally speaking it does not. It sounds like you're one of the unlucky few. When there is damage to peripheral nerve fibers such as that caused by peripheral neuropathy (due to any cause, not just sarcoid), the nerve damage can cause secondary damage to muscle cells that the nerve fibers travel to called denervation damage. This usually causes muscle cells normally connected to the affected nerve endings to shrivel up and wither away, although often other unaffected normal nearby nerve fibers will eventually sprout new extra nerve endings that connect to the withering muscle cells and bring them back to life so-to-speak. This process is called reinnervation. Pain is often a symptom of peripheral neuropathy, but here the problem is with the small nerve endings that give sensations of pain and temperature from the skin rather than the other general (motor) type of nerve endings that connect to muscle cells that I just discussed. A nerve and muscle biopsy should generally show evidence of sarcoid affecting the nerve endings, as long as the biopsy is performed on a nerve and muscle where the disease is active, and confirms the diagnosis of sarcoid neuropathy unless by random chance the biopsy
"misses" an affected area. Please remember that the information we provide on the forum is intended for general informational purposes only and that the actual diagnosis and treatment of your specific medical condition should be strictly in conjunction with your treating physician(s). If you would be interested in a second opinion about your specific case at the Cleveland Clinic, I would suggest an appointment with one of our neuromuscular section physicians. Our number is 1-800-223-2273/ extension 45559.

A related discussion, Sarcoidosis was started.