Neurology Expert Forum
scalp numbness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

scalp numbness

i know this may sound strange but sometimes when i go to sleep i wake up and the side and the back of my head is completely numb ,this numbness will sometimes cause me to wake from my sleep it is that bad . i have as you know from my past post a lesion(angioma) on my left temporal lobe which they are wanting to do surgery for they are schedualing video monitoring to see where the seizures(epilepsy) are comming ( more than likely the lesion but they want to be sure!!! )  from also they spoke of a angiogram .the reason for my question is this numbness has accured off and on for years i just thought maybe i was sleeping wrong ,is there anything you can tell me about this symptom and should i be concerned and mention it to my neuroligist,also if you have any info on the test i mentioned it would help a great deal  ,and could you tell me a little about mapping it  will also be done prior to surgery, thank you so much for your help ,god bless wishing you well !!!!
1. The scalp numbness is probably not related to the angioma, but you could certainly mention it to your neurologist especially because it's waking you from sleep.  It;s possible that there is a nerve being compressed, perhaps by the position you sleep in. Consider a new pillow.

2.Angiogram (i'm assuming that's the test you're asking about) is an invasive procedure in which a small catheter is inserted into an artery in your groin and then threaded up to the arteries in your neck.  Dye is injected and pictures are taken so that doctors can see the arteries and veins in your brain, which in your case would closely evaluate the angioma (if need be). You're of course sedated and carefully monitored throughout. It's a routine procedure that for many patients is an outpatient one. However, there is a very small risk of complication and death as there is with other invasive procedures.

3. Mapping is done to accurately localize where a seizure is coming from. There's different methods, one of which is when a grid (looks like a flat plastic bingo card) is surgically placed right over your brain. Little electrodes within the grid pick up the seizures and tell your docs exactly where they're coming from. For more info regarding your specific case, talk to your doctors. Good luck
Last week a had a shooting pain on the left side of my head (near the top).  Instantly a spot the size of a baseball went numb.  Since then it has gradually increased in size just a bit, but the feelings I've had underneath the area have been quite uncomfortable and several times kept me from falling asleep.  It almost feels as though something is "dripping" in there.  Any thoughts on the matter?

Thank you -

JS