Neurology Expert Forum
scared muscle twitcher

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

scared muscle twitcher

Ok I'm scared and neuroitic I admit it.

About 1 month ago I started major twitching to calves spread to thighs feet and some upper body.

Now I think I've noticed some weakness in my right leg - the thigh muscle looks less developed than the right especially the kind of triangular on the top of the thigh. And the leg/thigh feels underpowered. (I don't do much exercise-am a writer)

I'm 37 male. I had ME/CFS in 1992 was very bad for 3/5 years but recovered to previous levels of fitness. during ME I did have calf twitching, and was tested OK - it went away and have never had it again since 1 month ago when back with a vengeance.

Hands and feet seem to be OK strength wise.

Naturally I am v scared about ALS because of all the stuff posted on the net. Having an EMG as soon as I can get one. Any idea how many people present with twitching for ALS? Anybody got anything comforting to say to one terrified person.
Nothing in medicine or life for that matter is 100%. BUt typically speaking in ALS, weakness usually precedes the twitching. Your symptoms do not sound like the textbook case of ALS which is weakness that starts in the hands and then slowly progresses to a generalized state of weakness. Please keep in mind I have not personally examined you or taken a full history, but it is quite possible that you have what's called benign fasciculation syndrome. This is a common disorder that does not have any serious implications as does ALS. A neurological exam and EMG is a good start for evaluation. Best of luck.
I'VE HAD MUSCLE twitching in calves, arms, legs, abdomin (abdomen), you name it, I've had a muscle that twitched...Calves are constantly twitching...I've had 2 nerve and EMG tests and both were normal except for the fasciculations that show up on the EMG...I've had numerous blood tests...all normal.....As long as you are not getting extremely weak...they are probably like mine and thousands of other people....The Nero will call it Beneign Muscle Fasciculations...Nothing you can do about it except learn to get along with them....I've had them for over a year now...there no better...no worse....
I have had twitching/tremors in my calves for about 3 years now.  I also have been diagnosed with a sleep disorder and find the more fatigued I become the more intense the twitching beomes.
I'm a 41 year old male & have been twitching for 2 1/2 years now, everywhere, especially the calves.  The arches of my feet twitch (moves around) non-stop 24/7.  I've learned to ignore most twitches, but the ones in my feet & calves are annoying as heck.

One thing I've noticed from reading all the forums (see www.aboutbfs.com) is I've never seen anyone post that they have actually been diagnosed with a serious disorder, other than "benign fasciculation syndrom (syndrome)".  ALS seems to come on strong & fast with weakness well before any twitching. Hopefully I'll be able to say this 20 years from now.  

Time will tell.  Relax & try to keep your mind off what your body is doing.   Maybe it's all part of aging & most people are too oblivious to notice.  Or maybe we've come in contact with something, or ate something, or have a vitamin deficiency causing it.  I don't think there's a ton of research being done on this by scientist or doctors.

Good Luck & keep us posted.
Thanks for your comments.

I have had twitching in the past during cfs - but it went away and is now back with a vengeance. One part of me ios thinking well I had it before and I was Ok. The other part is thinking why should it return when there is no cfs this time and no reason therefore must be bad.

As its only maybe a month in on the twitching i seem to spend a lot of time gauging the strength of my limbs, examining my body etc. etc. Yes I know this is not good behaviour.

Still I have to work which takes my mind off it temporarily. But thanks for everyone's comments. Much appreciated.
Hi.
    I am in the u.k, and to be honest never heard of A.L.S.
I was  wondering if it is known as anything else.....
I have  had muscle twitching for 10  years relentless. Had brain scans  muscle and nerve testing nothing has been diagnosed
except Benign muscle fasiculation, i have a diagnosis of m.e, but some how that doesnt seem right. ALS is something new  to me....
ALS is technically referred to as amyotrophic lateral sclerosis.  It is also commonly referred to as Lou Gehrig's Disease in this country as that particular individual was a renowned baseball player that contracted this particular illness. If you do a search on the web, you will be able to find info about this condition.
Hi Sage I'm also in uk. ALS is known here as MOTOR NEURON disease. A lady featured in our news reports "DIANE PRETTY" suffers from this  regards ANNE
A.L.S. is also known as or related to:

Lou Gehrig's Disease
Amyotrophic Lateral Sclerosis
Progressive Muscular Atrophy
Pseudobulbar Palsy
Motor Neuron Disease
Aran-duchenne
Here's one.  About 6 years ago, noticed some "funny" twitching going on.  Whole body seemed to be involved at different times (except toungue).  Being the informed hypochondriac, I looked up what this could be...you guessed it, ALS popped it's head out.  Finally decided to get this checked, so went to Neuro.  He checked strength, reflexes, looked for signs of anything.  Said he would "stick" me(EMG) to be sure, but it looked like nothing.  Never followed up.  No EMG.  I worried less about it and from time to time it would re-appear for short amounts of time.  I started noticing that when the twitching starts, I usually have an upset stomach.  This includes burping, gurgling, increased bowel movements, and even heart palpitations.  In fact, the GI and muscles almost seem connected to each other (twitch...rumble...etc.)  My biggest problem is that this disturbs my sleep.  Have trouble getting to sleep.  As soon as I am relaxed boom another little jerk.  Anyway, just saw this post and thought I'd share.  Anyone else have a similar story?
Howdy. I'm a 39yo Male and for the past 9 months I've been suffering these muscle twitches in all my limbs and occasionaly on both of my sides. It's like a mild case of the shivers but only in the arms. It started as an occasional spasm in my left arm and then grew to both arms and now is in my legs off and on. Everyone talks about numbness and tingling but I have very little of that just the spasms. I can, at this stage, ignore them when I'm busy or active but when I try to relax or sleep, I can't. Since I do see a Chiropractor at least twice a month I thought that some damage might have occured so I went to the Doc. He reffered me to a Neurologist and he performed an EMG and also an MRI. Both tests came up negative, or Normal, so did my blood tests (although I think I'll recheck my B12 lvls again).

My Neurologist went to a seminar in Texas and came back with some news. He heard of something called CELIAC DISEASE which has Neuropathy as a symptom. It's an intolerance to the GLUTENS in wheat, rye, barley, and oats. The Glutens atrophy the villi in the small intestines which causes vitamin deficiencies, stomache cramps, gas, acid reflux, diarhea (diarrhea) (floaty, bubbly, stinky, and sometimes bloody). I haven't been officialy diagnosed with Celiac Sprue yet but am seeing a G.I. Doctor tomorrow.

If it wasn't for the spasms I would be in perfect health. It's irritating more than debilitating. Especialy being undiagnosed and the Doctors scratching their heads and telling me there's nothing (they can find) wrong. Could this be as simple as a vitamin def.?

I sometimes wonder if this isn't a result of years of eating processed foods. They put so much cr*# into every food product, try reading the lables at the store, it's sickening.
I experienced a huge wave of relief in finding this website.  I thought I was the only one.  My whole body muscle twitches just started one day, out of the blue, after a year of incredible stress (which had actually calmed down by then...).  I have had all the tests; MRI, EMG, nerve conduction studies, blood work, blood work, blood work... and all comes back normal.  This CAN'T be NORMAL!!! Can it?  What is "benign muscle twitching" and is it just "one of those things" that I'll have to live with?  

If anyone knows of someplace to go for help, let me know.  I have seen several doctors, including a very reputable neurologist, who says all my tests are normal.  I am on leave from work for a month right now to "rest" but that doesn't seem to help either.  Any suggetions?  Thanks.
Hi All!
My identical twin sister started having muscle twitches about two months ago. They began in her right eye then moved to all parts of the body. She saw doctors, had blood work and even the EMG. All came back normal.
Well, this week I began twitching! Began in my neck and left arm. Now in several other body parts as well. We just don't know what to think. Should I have the same testing done that she has?
Could it be a virus?
Our grandmother had ALS, however, we have no weekness or pain etc. How worried should we be?
Any info would be welcomed.
Muscle twitches are commonly caused by either too much calcium or not enought magnesium.  Most diets in the US don't provide the RDA, and some people need more than the RDA.  Taking alcium increases the need for magnesium.  Many foods also cause increased urinary magnesium excretion (sugar, diuretic such as tea).  Warning:  Most generic magnesium supplements use either magnesium citrate or oxide, both of which are poorly absorbed.  When you don't absorb the magnesium, it creates a laxative effect.  Try taking magnesium, slowly increasing it every few days and see if the twitches go away.  Split the doses up between meals for better absorption.  If you reach the laxative effect before they go away, try other better absorbed forms, such as chelated forms.  Solgar makes a form called magnesium glycinate which many people find to be the best.  Another possibility is using a liquid form, magnesium chloride, which might be useful for people with gastrointestinal problems, a common cause of poor mineral absorption.  Taking magnesium, and avoiding too much calcium, definitly cured my twitching problem.
My muscle twitches started after a cocaine overdose...(totally by accident...It was laced in a cigarette someone gave to me)...Ever since then, they have been all over but mostly in my calves...There is definitly a brain connection to this...Anytime doctors can't find the cause they always say it's stress related...I will try the magnesium to see if it works...