Neurology Expert Forum
scoliosis and chiropracters

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

scoliosis and chiropracters

Hi i'm a 32 year old female and I have a question that I need advice on you see I have scoliosis of the spine, I have never had any problems with it,well I thought I hadn't , I noticed I had it after a fall when i was 14, i saw a back speacialist who told me i would have to wear a brace, but at 14 that was not a cool thing to do, so i left it, he also told me i could have problems while pregnat, i went on to have 2 children and no back pains, a few years after my second child i had a small phnemrothorax(i hope i spelt that right)a lung specialist told me is was due to my tall thin shape and because i smoked, i went on to have 2 more over a few years span, but recently i had a bad pain in my top sholder which i thought was another phnemrothorax, but x-rays showed no sign the pain continued so i went to another doctor who literally lifted me from my seat by my neck and twisted it from side to side, they thought it might be a muscle problem so they put me on anti inflamitry medication and strong pain killers, this continued for three weeks when finally my father booked me into a chiropracter , i have never really believed in them but i thought it worth a try, he conducted further x-rays and test to see what my muscles and nerves where doing , the results came as a shock , he told me that he had only seen readings like mine in car accident victums , that the nerves sending signals to my brain for oxygen and other messages where hardly working and that i had 3 subluxations, he also informed me that he could try and work on my scoliosis, that it would mean a complete change in my body, he started straight away to adjust me, the pain eased over a week span but i was also taking antibiotics from another docter prior, my concern is that i have been researching chiropracters and scoliosis on the internet and i am starting to have doubts as i feel maybe all this is due to my scoliosis and maybe a chiropracter is not the answer ,could you please give your advice.

thank you in advance
Dear bb:

Sorry to hear about your back.  I have problems with people who say they can tell if the cord is compromised based on a plain film x-ray.  Most good chiropractors will tell you that your boney structure is abnormal but to tell you that your nerves to your brain that control oxygen is absurd.  I know many chiropractors  to whom I actually refer patients to.  If you have a significant scoliosis, then adjustment will not change the scoliosis.  Pain to the shoulder sounds like a C5 process and manipulation might correct the pain, but not the scoliosis.  You see a plain film x-ray does not see nerves, just boney structures.  One needs an MRI to visualize nerves and even that procedure will not get good views on all the nerves in the spinal column.  Actually, you ought to see someone about your scoliosis and make sure it isn't progressing.  Most of the common forms of scoliosis will stabilize after puberty but some progress and can lead to problems.  I would tend to stay away from anyone who claims that they can manipulate soft tissues, muscles, and cure a scoliosis that is significant.  

Sincerely,

CCF Neuro MD
bb my daughter has scoliosis she is only 3 and has a 40 degree curve scoliosis can cause resp and cardivasculare problems if it is sever and in hte thuraxic spine because it kinda rutts the lungs and heart out of ther ormal spaces.  where and to what degree is your curve?  like i said katie has a 40degree curve but it is in her lumbar spine. scoliosis can cause pain as well as muscle spasms. i owuld say see a orthopedist and see idf he cant help any if oyu ave not already.  god luck:)

joanna
katelynn 3 (tcs, psinal lipoma, syrnix, dermal sinus, cong scoliosis,partial
sacral agenesis, hypotonia, seizures, bilateal renal reflux, right kidney
damage)