Neurology Expert Forum
segmental myoclonus

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

segmental myoclonus

I have segmental myoclonus in spine and legs. MRI normal. Bloods Normal. EEG normal. CT scan normal. I suffer pain and muscle weakness, also joint pain and i have low energy levels. I am waiting to have a lumbar puncture and have seen a rheumatologist but as yet have not had any results back. I would like to know what illnesses could cause these symptoms. Could you advise me.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

Without the ability to examine you and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of your symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Segemental spinal myoclonus is a specific disorder diagnosed when myoclonus is only occuring in a specific distribution of the body, in contiguous body parts (parts of the body near each other, in contiguity with each other); if your back and both legs are involved in the myoclonus, then the term segemental spinal myoclonus may not apply. (I am not sure what you mean by myoclonus in your spine, I will assume you mean in your back).

In general, spinal myoclonus is due to a lesion within the spine, such as a tumor, a demyelinating disease, or trauma. The causes of myoclonus in general are very broad and include metabolic disorders, infections, medication-induced, brain injury (specifically, anoxic brain injury or lack of oxygen to the brain), and certain genetic and neurometabolic disordrs. Which type of myoclonus helps to better define the case. If you have spinal segmental myoclonus, the cause is usually a structural lesion in the spine (such as a tumor, trauma, infection). Tumors and trauma would be apparent on MRI. Tests to investigate spinal myoclonus include a good-quality MRI of the spine with contrast (dye), as well as tests to investigate for demyelination or infection (such as the lumbar puncture you are planned to have) are often necessary to determine the cause.

Continued follow-up with your physicians is recommended.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.