Neurology Community
sensory problems, electric shocks, bladder control, eye pain, headaches...

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

sensory problems, electric shocks, bladder control, eye pain, headaches, tingling, numbness

Six years ago I had an MRI for twitching and electric shock sensations.  The MRI was normal.  This past year I have developed a frequency in urination, skin crawling on my left ankle then my left hand and ultimately around my mouth and tongue.  Then it stopped.  I suffer from frequent headaches, numbness in hands or feet and pain from time to time behind my right eye.  My hearing goes in and out as if I'm under water.  Last week I passed out and vomited all day.  There are other symptoms as well and it all seems to point to MS.  I was tested last week and everything seemed fine.  A standard MRI along with an VEP test which was ruled "inconclusive", an EEG test which was normal and a FIVE MINUTE exam with a neurologist.  I have the Babinski sign and hyperactive reflexes in my feet.  No explanation, just an "I'm sorry..call us if anything else happens".  

AM I MISSING A TEST THAT MAY HELP TO DIAGNOSE WHAT'S WRONG?  MY NEUROLOGIST WASN'T HELPFUL AND I WENT TO A POPULAR HOSPITAL IN SEATTLE, WA.  ANY SUGGESTIONS?
First of all I would say find a new neurologist and get a second opinion. Any neuro that gives you only 5 minutes and who has positive (babinski etc) neurological findings without further investigation needs to be replaced. I know that it is hard to find a good neurologist. Call the best teaching hospital in the area and ask for the neuro floor. Ask to speak to the Charge nurse and tell her could she please (on the down low) recommend a  neurology practice and a specific doctor. Nurses will always tell you who are the best doctors. (I know because I am an RN) Did he suggest a lumbar puncture? Sometimes when the MRI is neg a lumbar puncture is helpful. Second: don't assume it is MS. The fact that you had a negative MRI is great! There are many things that can aggrevate the CNS that are not easily diagnosed and can have the same symptoms as MS. This forum is a helpful place to seek support, but you need a good physician who is willing to help you figure it out. Good luck and I hope you feel better.
Thank you for your help.  I actually have an appointment with my GP this Thursday to get another referral.  I will do what you said and get the name of a good doctor ahead of time.  I am hesitant to request a lumbar puncture.  Word is out that it is very painful, although I'm just about ready to do anything to get this figured out.  I should mention that I have Sjogrens Syndrome which  I know can cause neurological problems.  It doesn't cause passing out, vomiting, Babinski sign, etc.  That's what worries me.
I have had a lumbar puncture (in February) and I can honestly say it did hurt..but not the worst pain I have ever had. I think most of the pain comes from the fear because I found it very scary to be in that position (you are basically in a fetal position) with the thought that someone is messing with your spinal area. It did hurt, don't get me wrong, but I think if I had maybe had a valium or xanax or something to take the edge off first, it would not have been so bad. I am glad I did it, it helps to alleviate my MS fears that much more by having a negative result. I would do it again knowing what to expect, but if someone tells you it is just like having an epidural, they are lying.
Sjourns Syndrome can definitely give you neurological symptoms....talk to another neuro and maybe you can get some answers. Good luck!