Neurology Expert Forum
severe Throbbing leg pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

severe Throbbing leg pain

I have for five years now severe, throbbing leg pain and no doctor has been able to help me yet. I was tested for circulation problems, also for a ruptured disk, for rheumatism and arthritis and everything was negative. All Doctors seem to be buffled by my symtpoms, since they obviously don't connect with anything. My Leg pains are as follows: the pain is not always there, it seems to come in attacks, but there is no pattern to it, atleast I can't see one. I am a Teller and I stand 8 hours a day which doesn;t seem to bother me, but when an attack comes it comes usually in the late afternoon or evening and progresses into the night and it is a throbbing, pulsating pain, and nothing seems to ease the pain. I tried hot or cold bathes, I put a heating pad on I put my legs up, try to massaage them but as I said: nothing seems to help. Doctors gave me painkillers, they seemed to work for a while or they send me to lala-land, but they don't really relieve me of my pains. I don't know what to do anymore, but sometimes my legs hurt so bad that i feel like crying and cutting them off....it is a mystery not only to me but to doctors too. I developed Graves disease about the same time my leg pains started, in fact that was the main reason and symptem I actually went to see a doctor, but my endocronologist assures me that the leg pain has nothing to do with my thyroid desease!!!! Please help...I need it...it makes my life miserable.
=
I wonder if you have Restless Legs Syndrome (RLS). Often, what people describe is not pain per se but an intense uncomfortable feeling like the creepy crawlies. Typically, the sensation is worse at night and better when the legs are in use.
Your details don't quite match what I've proposed, but if it seems like a good bet, ask your doctor about that possibility. Diagnosis requires a doctor who has seen RLS before. It's based entirely on details gathered in the interview. The physical examination should reveal (or rule out) some commonly occurring coexisting conditions, or possibly other causes for leg discomfort such as nerve damage. If your symptoms are a little off of the typical RLS, then imaging studies such as MRI of the lumbar-sacral spine can be done to rule out lumbar canal stenosis. If there is a reason to do so, an EMG and nerve conduction study of the legs can be done to check for neuropathy. But, if everything fits, you may be able to be diagnosed without ANY tests!
If you see a doctor who has seen RLS before, he/she will know about the use of Sinemet or Mirapex or similar agents for treatment. Sometimes we use Klonopin or even Darvocet.
It's remarkable that RLS affects perhaps 10% of the American population and yet many doctors don't know about it. We still have no idea why it occurs and why treatment works but at least it's treatable.
Note well: this discussion of RLS is based on a suspicion. If I saw you from scratch, I would be sure other problems had been checked into, such as nerve compression injury or structural problems in the legs. I assume you have been through all this, so I offer another possibility you can talk with your doctor about.
This forum can't substitute for medical advice from your doctor, as you know. If you would like one of us to see you, call 800 223-2273 and ask for neurology appointments at 4-5559. I hope this helps. CCF MD mdf.

A related discussion, Why do I have leg throbbing in my left leg? was started.
A related discussion, back leg shoulder joint pain was started.
A related discussion, Tthrobbing pain in the leg. was started.
A related discussion, Graves and Throbbing leg pain in one leg (left) was started.
A related discussion, throbbing leg pain was started.
A related discussion, Extreme leg pain only at night was started.