Neurology Expert Forum
severe concussion symptoms

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

severe concussion symptoms

My 16 yr old daughter received a concussion when a piece of exercise equip fell on her head in aug/2011. Severe headache, backache, grey blotches in her eyes were all present. ER visit with xray of her neck showed nothing wrong but concussion. Then on Sep 13 she hit her head againist a bathroom sink at school when she almost fell from passin out. This is when part of her memory went. We have been to neurologists, pediatritians, chronic pain clinics, cranial sacrial treatments, accupuncutre, ER for iv pain meds, psychiatrists, and will be going to physio and psychologists, no one has found anything wrong and no way to help. She has been on ami and nora triptylene, ketorolac, metachloprimide, gabapentine., maxalt, and lastly topamax and nothing has helped (has also tried any and all headache pain killers) She suffers daily with brutal head pain, terrible back ache, grey/black blotches in her vision that never goes away, her hands are very numb, her memory is poor and has forgotten many things yet we are amazed at things she still remembers. Her concentratin and comprehension have made her miss an entire semester of school and has only gone back recently if only for the social aspect because she was getting very low and sad and angry being at home where life was not what it should. Its been over 6 months and NOTHING has improved. Should we continue to hope, or is this the way life is going to be? They have always said"its a concussion, it will heal" but its hard to keep hoping when nothing has improved. Her life is so not what it used to be.Are there any other drugs we should try although she is very against trying anything else because of all the side effects she has had. She is scheduled for another MRI of her entire back and head again and they want to do a spinal tap to check pressures of her spine and analyze the fluids. Is there still hope in things getting better? "Why would the hands recently go numb? 'Will her eyes ever see normal again?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

There are multiple grading scales for concussion. The American Academy of Neurology scale is graded on a scale of 1 to 3, where grade 3 has any loss of consciousness. Grade 2 is with any symptoms lasting more than 15 minutes. If there is any loss of consciousness or alteration in mentation or neurological deficit, labeling the injury as traumatic brain injury would also be appropriate.  

It is common for persistent headaches to occur after traumatic brain injury such as from a concussion. The disturbance may last a few days to a few weeks/months. Typically if symptoms last longer than 3 months, they are determined to be “post-concussion symptoms”. For the headaches, the treatment is typically multi-factorial including medications and psycho/social therapy. The headaches can be difficult to treat.

It is also important to recognize that post-concussive symptoms may also include sleep disturbances, dizziness, memory challenges, difficulties with concentration, fatigue, depression, anxiety, and increased or decrease in sleep. These too should be addressed if present.

Did your daughter have a history of headaches prior to the injury?

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.