Neurology Expert Forum
severe dizziness

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

severe dizziness

Hello, 28 year old male here...allways been healthy except for this... For at least 3 years now I have had these episodes of dizziness that seem to usually last about 2-5 days at a time.  I get extremely dizzy and my vision becomes wavey immediately after I lay down on my back, or when I simply look up.  Most recently, this has been in remission for about 5 months but Friday night I cut my eyes over to the left sharply for whatever reason and was immediately struck with severe dizziness...and it allways subsides within seconds of sitting back up.    I had an emergency CT at the E.R. and was given Antivert/Meclizine which did seem to get rid of my dizziness 90%.   I have had multiple contrasted MRI, MRA, CT, blood work, Echo/EKG for this before with all normal testing.   Another major thing is for about the past 8-10 months I've had a moderate pressure headache behind my forehead and my nose constantly feels blocked...the nasal lining in my nose appears to be quite red, almost blood red.   However I must inform you that my sinuses are allways crystal clear on the scans.    I guess my question is, since the antivert works for the dizziness, does there seem to be a chronic infectious thing going on in my upper airways/vestibular system?  could such symptoms be due to an upper neck problem?     What opinion do you have based on my story?     THANK YOU SINCERELY
I cannot give you a clinical diagnosis over the internet, as this site is purely educational

Episodic dizziness in younger people is most commonly due to dislodegement of particles in teh inner ear tubes that control balance. there are three tubes for each orientation - hence sometimes if only one tube is affected there may be dizziness/vertigo after looking or moving in certain directions. Staying absolutely still usually results in a decrease or cessation of symtpoms. It cna be diagnosed by examination, or by specialized testing called videonystagmography. These tests are often best done by a oto-neurologist (a neurologist who specializs in dizziness and vertigo), there are two such neurologists at the Cleveland Clinic. They can also differentiate this disorder from other causes of vertigo that you may have.

Effective treatment is available, in the form of positional maneouvres. Antivert may be beneficial in the short term but it can make things worse in the long term

I would defer to an ENT doctor on teh nose/airway question, unfortunately this is outisde my area of knowledge
Goodluck
by the way, doc, when I say dizzy, I mean the room is spinning, not light-headed.   I wanted to make that clear because doctors have commonly asked me to differentiate
You should see an otoneurologist. They're familar with all forms of dizziness. It could be your vestibular system, it could be Menierre's or something inner ear. They will give you a whole battery of vestibular function tests such as ENG, VEMP, rotary chair, audiogram. Have you had any of these?
A related discussion, severe dizziness was started.