Neurology Expert Forum
severe muscle cramping

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

severe muscle cramping

I tend to seat profusely during exercise and i tend to engage in sports like cycling and tennis that can last for an extended length of time. I am also in the deep south and the heat and humidity are excessive. For the last few years, I am 47 now, I have dehydrated to the point of hospitalization on three occassions. I go through an excruciating full body cramping that lasts for over an hour with only an intermitent cessation of cramping. I am now experiencing cramping in my sleep and in my racquet hand during the day. I have tried drinking pedealyte and i take potassium and magnesium off and on. Is this cramping a result of muscle dehydration are do i have some sort of nerologic pathology? If this is strictly dehydration what can I do to minimize the effect. Thanks
There are some neuromuscular syndromes that are characterized by excessive sweating and cramping of the muscles. One of them is called Morvan's syndrome but this also includes alteration of consciousness, which you did not report. Also, you may have autonomic dysfunction, which is the part of the nervous system that controls things like sweating, tearing, heart rate, etc... and can be associated with muscle problems. Consider seeing a neurologist for evaluation of your muscle symptoms. An EMG may help further delineate the problem as well as laboratory studies. As for symptomatic prevention/control, gatorade has plenty of electrolytes.
1 Comment
A related discussion, severe muscle cramping was started.
A related discussion, enviromental sweating with severe muscule cramps was started.