Neurology Community
severe pain after leg stent implant

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

severe pain after leg stent implant

In Jan. 2006, I was having pain when walking. Doppler showed a blockage in the left leg. Procedure was performed and three stents were placed in the left inner thigh area with absolutely no beneficial results Looking for newer technology, I learned of the Silverhawk Plaque Removal system and insisted this be done. It was performed (reluctantly) but with great results as far as releiving the pain and my ability to walk without pain. That was in June of 2006. I had already been on a regimen of Plavix and aspirin daily for quite some time and this was continued. In Sept. 2006, during a routine visit to my cardiologist, his Physician's Assistant took me off Plavix daily and told me to take it only once every three days. In about three weeks, I had developed a blood clot in the left leg. Surgery was necessary to remove the clot and three more stents were placed in my leg, making a total of 6 in the same leg. Had I been aware the stents were to be implanted, I probably would not have agreed to it.  After discharge from the hospital I experienced constant pain in the calf, knee area and back of the thigh. In January 2007, my cardiologist performed an atherectomy to determine the reason for the continued pain. Nothing was found to cause this. I was told "it will work itself out", but that has not happened. He also told me I will be on Plavix for the rest of my life and not forget to take it daily.  But, the pain countinued to the point that I have to use motorized shopping carts just to shop! These stents are Cordis stents. According to the card given to me afterwards, they are placed in the following areas, which I am sure you can understand the locatoion, as I cannot. They are in the SFA, POP, and PERO areas, wherever that is. Anyway, in October of this year, 2007, I developed another blood clot in the same leg, even with being on Plavix and adult aspirin daily. During the procedure to remove the clot, the doctor demanded to know who placed those stents in my leg. He told me they are the wong size and that is where the clot occurred. I told him that as far as I knew, he had put them there himself in October of last year. He is denying doing so, but I still have the card with his signature. He is blaming it on my cardiologist who I have been seeing for the past 16 years. A few years ago, around 2003, a stent was placed in the left renal artery. Within a few hours my blood pressure shopt way up and I am not on two meds just to try and control it. Until then, I had a very constantly good blood pressure. So, at this point, I just can't say i am too impressed with stents. Is there anything that I might be able to do concerning this? I am really upset that the doctor who performed the procedures is now denying it.