Neurology Community
severe sharp pain in back of head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

severe sharp pain in back of head

I'm 24 years old and recently over the past week and a half I've been getting these really bad headaches. It comes as a sudden onset of severe sharp pain in the back of my head. It goes from the base of my skull all the way up to the very top and a little on the sides. So its the entire back of my head. It is so severe I can't see well becasue of the pain, and it kind of makes me sick to my stomach. If I were to put it on a pain scale I would say a 15/10, and if you were to know my pain tolerance you would know it was serious when I actually complained about how bad something really hurt. It lasts for many hrs untill I either go to bed or untill I eventually try to forget about it. Ive tried tylenol and such and that doesn't seem to work. I do have a history of migranes (migraines), but I mostly get auras with my migranes (migraines) so I know its not one of those.  
I really don't have much stress in my life right now. I've been out of school for the a while now and work a decent job with little stress. I have a lumbar fusion and fixation with 12in titanium rods done in 2004. These cause me pain all the time but I'm used to it and tolerate it well so I'm not sure if this could be causing enough stress for me to start having headaches now after 6 years. I'm not really doing anything that I think would cause much tension for this to happen. Sometimes it just happens while I'm sitting on the couch or just playing with the dog. Nothing too crazy.
If anyone has any ideas of relief or any type of other help I would greatly appreciate it. It's really strting to worry me because it comes on so fast and hurts really really really bad that I get really scared if something is wrong.
Thank you for your time and help