Neurology Community
shaking when excited

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

shaking when excited

I have an 8 year old daughter that spasms every time she gets excited.  Her fingers stiffen and her face stiffens whenever she is excited about something.  We thought she would grow out of this, she has been doing this since a few months old.  It only occurs when she is excited, Never out of frustration or other emotions.  It looks as though she is having a seizure but if I touch her hands she will stop.  We have discussed trying to stop this behavior but she says that it is a part of her and she doesn't care who sees her do it.  We are worried that she will be made fun of at school.  Right now, she has no social problems but her friends have asked her why she shakes and does that with her hands.  Please advise, as her pediatrician has said that he is not alarmed and that she will most likely grow out of this.  
Hi.

The behavior that your daughter exhibits when she gets excited doesn't seem to be a serious condition as evidenced by the "spasms" being easily suppressed by touching her hands.  However, if you want to be sure, you could opt to consult a neurodevelopmental pediatrician to conduct a proper assessment regarding your daughter's behavior.
My son is 2 and ever since I can remember he has reacted to things that excite him by making little fists opening his mouth like he is squealing with excitement (but no sound comes out) and his body shakes all over as though he has all this excited energy that needs to come out. It scares me sometimes, but he is perfectly normal in development in all other ways and his doctor has shown no concern. I've only seen one other child do this ever. My son only does it when excited.
My daughter who is almost 5 exhibits the exact behavior.  Whenever she is excited or overtired she flaps her arms stiffens her face with her mouth open.  She has been doing this since she was a baby.  I took her to Dan Marino Neuological Center in Florida when she was 3.5 years old.  They said she has a very rare situation.  She exhibits something called repetetive stereopathy which is often seen in children with Autism or Asperbergers and she has neither one of those.  The doctor said some children do outgrow it.  I am so concerned, I plan on getting another opinion because it scares me when I see her do it and she tells me it feels good (almost like a relief).  It is not a seizure or a tic as it is not random and I can stop her from doing it.  Anyone with any other information on this, please let me know.
Yes, we have a ten year old with high functioning autism and he did that as a baby, and still will do it occasionally now. He does seem to be out growing it though. Also, our 1 year old is now doing it, it seems to be prevalent in Autistic prone children. Of note, we did not immunize this child for fear it may exasserbate autistic behaviors.
Our 1 yr old has made all milestones ahead of schedule, way ahead, so I would keep a close eye on milestones. It was our tell tale for our ten year old as he was behind 6 months.
My sister used to call it "the silent vibrating scream".  Apparently it is quite normal, and most kids grow out of it by age 3 or so. I think it's more of a self stimulating event, which would bode well for that diagnosis of PDD or PDDNOS, ADD - all under the auti spectrum.
Hi - my daughter has been doing this similar thing since she was a baby.  She mostly does it when she is excited, but also does it when she is anticipating something.  If she is standing, her body stiffens, arms by her sides and hands opening and closes rapidly.  Her head tilts sideways also.  When she was younger her mouth would form the shape of an 'O'.  Now at seven, she hums.  She seems to hold her breath throughout an episode.  When I hold her hand, she stops and will finally breathe.  I've always been told that it would go away, but it hasn't.  I've discussed this with pediatrician, who did not seem concerned.  I'm wondering who can I talk to to help her stop.  She said she wants to because she doesn't want anyone making fun of her.  I should also mention that doesn't realize she's doing it till she notices she's not breathing or I hold her hand.  Thanks for any help!
Hopefully my comment here helps! I know all situations vary based on the individual, but I was reading up on this, body stiffening, hand shaking, sometimes mouth open, movement, because I occassionally exhibit it as well. Never thought it was abnormal really until I consciously thought about it now. I'm a 23 year old girl, graduated with a degree in Psychology. I've always enjoyed academics and definitely have the ability to excel in school, so this "motor-stereotypy" or whatever it may be has NOT at all affected my life negatively by any means - not in any way that I'm aware of at least. The only negative aspect I could see in relation to children is that, as someone mentioned, the child may be made fun by other kids... I only ever exhibited it when I was alone though. I was diagnosed with ADHD when I was younger, but seem to have grown out of it, so it may be in relation to that? Stimulation issue? Not sure.

I also ONLY do it when I'm excited and used to do it a lot more as a child, now not so much. So I definitely agree, in my situation at least, that you can grow out of it. While the feeling of excitement almost feels involuntary, the shakes themselves do feel like a release - it feels good! I know it sounds strange. The shakes are voluntary though, I could consciously abstain from them. It's almost like an indulgence if you will.

Anyways, hope that helps! I can imagine the worry you parents may feel at times with young children!

I am an 7 years old. I put my hands in my pockets sometimes to help me not to shake my hands. Sometimes i twittle my thumbs to help me not shake my arms. I never let anyone bother me about shaking my arms. Sometimes it helps to take a deep breath and breath it out slowly. If I am close to something I can hold it tight and that helps. I somtimes try to think of something else. Walking relax's me.
I am typing this for my son he wanted to try to help someone else that shakes their arms and hands. He is a wonderful boy that does anything he wants to do.
That helps me a lot. Thanks for your comments.
I have a daughter who has done this since birth and she is now 21, so don't rely on this "growing out of it". She has no other problems, just the excitement thing.
I am 28 years old and have been experiencing the hand shaking with excitement ever since I was a child. My mother took me to several doctors. Many many doctors actually without explanation. Eventually at 12 I told my mother it was cured to end my family spending money on doctors. What a relief to see I am not the only one experiencing this as i thought I was. It does not effect my life nor has it ever mostly bc as I aged I did it in privacy as now I do and never did i get made fun of. But in my case it will never go away. And I'm fine with it. It's kept a secret. Only my mother knows I still have it and control it. I am married with three children and my husband has no idea so you will live a normal life. And actually my oldest daughter was born with it as well. Some people ask why
she does it. I say she's just excited and that ends the convoy or they say its cute.But she is seven and does control it more. Sometimes I have to remind her about her arms if I see het do it and she stops but don't be concerned that this is going to event you or your child's life bc with my experience it has not
My daughter does the exact same thing and always when she is excited or anticipating something and ofcourse I was and still am worried.  The pediatrician recommended that I get her blood tested which I did and he called me back and said that she has a severe reaction to cow's milk.  I completely stopped the milk intake and pretty much anything that contains milk.  It's been a week that she has been milk free and I don't see a major difference yet but the pediatrician is telling me that I have to give her at least a month if not more to see a difference.  
I hope this helps with your situation and I wish your daughter well.
Interested to know how the no cow milk diet went, my Daughter who is almost 4 exhibits the same conditions, face contorting, body stiffening arms flapping, if sitting down a bit of rocking (she will also go cross eyed during an episode), but as soon as I talk to her or touch her hand she stops, She seems to do it only when excited about something for the first time, or lost in thought like when drying her hair with a hair dryer. most of the time though she is fine.
I still do that and im nineteen and I think its becoming a serious physical and mental problem. it *****. I used to go it in public all of the time as a kid but now I just do it when im alone. like i said.... it *****.
My son is 3 and recently he has reacted to things that excite him by making little fists and will shake his fists in a circular motion. as well as rub his mouth with both fists at the same time. i can call his name , get his attention. But, it sort of looks like hes spaces out and is seizure like. i have mentioned this to his pediatrician and states that it could be over excitment of his nerves. But, i do see this happening in moments that we could be just sitting at the dinner table. But he is perfectly normal in development in all other ways and his doctor has shown no concern. i am worried and researching online. I've seen many other parents whom their children are going through the same. im worried that something could seriously be wrong.
I've been doing this exact thing since I was a baby, I'm 30 now and haven't grown out of it. It was uncontrollable when I was younger. My brothers hated going to the arcade because they knew I'd make the "face" and start shaking. I'm in a lot of home movies making that face. My parents never had me tested. Now that I'm older I find I only do it at home and I don't hate doing it. Playing video games, reading a car magazine, looking at a picture, heck even thinking about writing my comment on here makes me do it. It's like having an amazing vivid imagination. While I'm making that face, opening my mouth, stiff and shaking, I'm in my head acting out what I'm seeing or hearing. My family still sees me doing it, they've seen it so many times it's not a big deal.
My sister has done this her whole life and is now 26. She has never been diagnosed with any neurological disorder and now is quite successful and living a full life. My family never worried about it; it is an endearing quality of hers.

Now, my 6-month-old son has started doing it. Once in a while, I calmly touch him or take away whatever is exciting him so much--I don't want him to be TOO excited. I never worry though. This is his way of expressing himself.

I am 23 years old, and I have been doing this since I can remember. today, I finally got the nerve to look it up, maybe someone else does this...all I am finding is that its a sighn of autism in children. well, I dont think im autistic. I function fine, have gone through school, can maintain a conversation and I like to think im pretty intelligent and aware. I guess as a child, I can see this as a none issue....but me being 23...Im embarrased about it, I try to only do it when im alone and sometimes have to stop myself from wanting to do it infront of people, ill keep my hand down to my side and only do it for a second if I have too.  im afraid they will look at me like im mentally handicapped. sometimes when im alone and doing it, I cant seem to stop, my heart rate goes up my mouth opens in a freeze mine is more like an intense finger flicking where my middle finger whacks repeatedly onto my thumb, how fast and how hard can I do it. I only do it when im excited or in thought about something. my mom has caught me before when I was around 11, told me to stop, and has even mimicked and mocked me for it. it's embarrasing, I dont know why I do it, I just do, and I want it to stop.
I'm 23 and also shake with excitement. I have been doing it for as long as I can remember. My mom also does it. I think I do it in order to release endorphin's. Its never really been a problem though sometimes it can be embarrassing I just take it in strides because I love life. It's good to know I'm not the only one.
I'm fifteen and I was wondering if anyone else did this today. What I do is a little different, I get like body tremors. Not flaps and I don't open my mouth or go cross eyed. I just shake like a chihuahua. It's only when I'm excited, mad, or anticipating something. It's usually in private, like when I'm texting a cute boy. But sometimes if a friend gets mad at me, I do it too. It's weird haha. Once it happened when a friend was over but we were just sitting down talking about something I don't even know. I kinda hugged myself in the fetal position it that seemed to make me calm down. If she noticed, she probably thought I was just being weird and didn't say anything about it hahaha. I doubt I'm autistic. Maybe a little socially awkward but I have lots of friends. Also I don't think I had mine as a child or infant, I think it developed later. The first time I remember doing it was the age of ten, but maybe I did it earlier. If anyone else has body tremors, I really recommend sitting and holding your knees. It always calms me down.
Did you ever find out anything about this? My daughter seems to do the same thing, she is 4 and has done it since she was 2 months old. When excited her mouth opens and her fingers rapidly move/shake. we have done a 24 EEG and no seizures. The doctors say nothing is wrong, but I am worried she will get made fun of when she goes to kindergarten.
Thank u for all of the comments. I have a 12 year old son who exhibits these same behaviors. We've noticed it from the time he was two. It was a bit embarrassing when he was much smaller because we didn't know what it was. Im happy to say that he only does it when he's excited. Isn't that a good thing. We began to accept it once we realized, hey this boy is happy and in a good space! He hasn't outgrown it and I don't think he will. We actually gave the spasms a nickname. We allow him to just be himself and express his excitement without judgment. Now I will say.my son has a mild case of Tourrettes and I often wonder if there is a connection
My son is 6 years old, he says he can not help it but he also shakes he used to twist his hands when he was a baby now he makes a fist and tries to cover his mouth. His body shakes like he's having a seizure with his mouth open like he is silently screaming, it looks like there is something extremely wrong with him. This is not a normal reaction to just a little bit of excitement. I find it to be quite embarrassing and I don't want him 20, 30 years old doing this... It looks like there is something wrong with him when he does it but other then being on the hyper side he has common sense and excels in school. Anyone have anymore insight on this?
My daughter started "shaking" as I call it when she was 18 mos old. She is almost 9 and still does it. She has 2 older brothers that have Autism (my late husbands kids) but Merry does not have Autism. She is ADHD and she takes Concerta and that stops the shaking. I've been told by specialists that there is nothing to worry about. Besides the shaking she is completely normal.
I'm a 63 year old male, that being normal in every other way, have those dreaded tremors. We call them "energy releases". We sort of rub our hands together quickly and our bodies sort of tense up, tremor or shake. Two of my daughters and now 2 of my grandchildren ( from 2 different daughters) have the same thing. My "releases" are usually as a result of nothing in particular. Maybe I went out to get the paper and it's abit chilly, that may cause it or maybe something causes a little excitement like a visit from a friend or family member. Mine last but a second or 2 and there is a sort of satisfaction when done. I do try to keep them in private however. My wife says she sometimes sees me do it when I'm not aware she is in the room or just around the corner. I haven't really checked into it until today. My little 15 month old grand-daughter is spending a few days with us and she does it when I feed her breakfast. Like she is so happy and excited to eat her oatmeal with me, she has to do the tremor thing. Maybe someone will tell us one day what exactly is happening, maybe not. As long as nobody gets hurt, I'm happy.
I'm a 25 year old female and I clench my fists, shake, tense muscles and pull a grimace-type smile/grin when I'm excited, the only difference is that I actually squeal! Most of the time I can control the noise but occasionally the excitement is just too much! I have been through school, college and university, and have worked since I was 18 so don't be worried about it affecting your life because it doesn't! My parents and sister know about and they have never batted an eyelid! My boyfriend of 9 years also knows about it and, provided I don't squeal too high-pitched, he doesn't care =P He finds it endearing and knows that if I'm squealing I'm happy =)
Hi I have the same symptoms my parents when i was younger would slap me when i did it.
like i told them i had no control.
now i am 54,and still doing it especially if i am alone and its been a long time now i want to figure what it is.
how's your sister now?
Thanks ps everything else is great

Hey all my son does this. Its a family trait on my dad side. All the males did it when they were young. We all are a little hyper but not enough that any of them needed to medicated.they all grew out of it. It was just when they were excited and occasionally my 28 year old cousin will still do it if he gets excited enough.
my 5 year old does this too.  she has done it since she was a baby.  when excited she stiffens, wrings her hands together and her body trembles or shakes.  We call it "excited hands".  I've always thought it was  kinda cute, and never really worried about it, but my mother worries about it and I thought I would look it up.  she seems normal in all other aspects.  she is very social and on target with intelligence.  The only other thing I notice with her is that she avoids prolonged direct eye contact (which also never really bothered me, but her kindergarten teacher does not like it) and will hardly ever look directly at a camera.  I don't know if these two things are related or just 2 little "quirks".  I can't decide if I Should be worried or not. sigh.
I have a 4 year old son that open his mouth,  stiffens his hans and hold his breath, he does it when he's excited or tired, i can stop it by holding his hand or by just talking to him, Doctors said that he will grow out of it but after reading some of these discussions I'm not sure will grow out of it, I think doctors say that he will grow out of it because they don't know what else to say.
I have a 5 year old daughter who does this, she has done since a baby, hands by sides shake and her face sort of contorts and mouth opens, only when excited or waiting for something.
Her head tilts to one side when she watches things she is trying to understand. She can stop it when it is pointed out that she is doing it, but I tend to not do that as she does it most of the day and says she likes it. All of her friends seem not bothered by it  I think they like it too.
I'm not particularly worried about it I'm just interested in why it happens and pleased to read others have the exact same thing. I'd love to find out what goes on in the brain that causes it. If she is happy so am I.
Good for you!  This comment makes me feel relieved and hopeful as I am the mom of a 2 yr old who has had the flapping and "the face" symptoms since only a few months old. ...  I hope everything goes wonderful for you in your future.  Thank you for your helpful insight.
My daughter has done this basically since birth. I now have an almost 10 month old and he seems to be starting to do it. hands moving, mouth open. We had several EEG's done on our daughter and all doctors say it is just an habit, but she is almost 6 and says she would like to stop doing it, but doesn't know how to stop it. Does anyone have any suggestions on who else we can go see or any way for her to try and control it? Some kids have started making fun of her for doing it.
I'm curious for those of you commenting who also shake with excitement if you tend to feel things intensely in general? Do you also take a bigger blow when something upsetting happens, do you think? Is it harder for you to get over upsets? My 5.5 year old is SUPER enthusiastic. Others often comment on it. Today she was shaking/spasm-ing off and on throughout an entire group performance. I knew it was as she was happy but it unnerved me that it went on for so long. I'm just wondering if it's connected to feeling things intensely in general. My daughter has such a hard time if something doesn't go as she'd hoped - it's like she gets stuck in a rut she can't get out of. She has problems self soothing- needs to be stroked to sleep still, etc. No autism, but yes to sensory processing disorder. THANK YOU!
I have the same thing happen to me when I am excited.   Since I was little I've done it and I used to do it a ton until I hit middle school.   After that I rarely thought of it in public whereas before I wouldn't care.  At home I would do it constantly whenever I thought about something exciting or just something compared to that.   I am 17 now with outstanding grades and pursuing into the medical field.  It is still prevalent now but I only do it in my room where no one can see because it does feel embarassing.  I never thought to look it up until today when I was doing an AP Psychology summer assignment but I did and it seems as though it isn't a disease or anything just a way to rellease all of that exciting energy that is within you I guess.  I have no Autism or diseases whatsoever and I'm in very good health.   Parents do not worry about this issue your child will eventually get better with controlling it and may even out grow it someday. Who knows?  Hope this helped from someone that has this issue!
It is not hard at all for me at least to get over anything very upsetting whatsoever.  It might be a day or two after something absolutely dramatic happens until I get over it but I don't get upset easily at all.   The feeling of pure happiness and excitement is what causes the shaking or spasming.  I know that every time I would come close to winning something I would shake a lot more but it becomes more and more controllable as your age progresses