Neurology Community
sharp headaches

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

sharp headaches

I have started having sharp pains on the top right side of my head.  They usually only last a couple of minutes but reoccur several times a day.  When the pain is not there my head has a tight feeling to it once again only on the top right side.  I have now started having the pain during the night so bad that they wake me up.  I have tried looking up different things but nothing fits the pain I am going through.  
Obviously this need medical follow  up, but they MAY be "cluster headaches".

Have a read and see if this fits the bill for you:

Description

They are called cluster headaches because the attacks come in groups. The pain arrives with little, if any, warning, and it has been described as the most severe and intense of any headache type. It generally lasts from 30 to 45 minutes, although it might persist for several hours before it disappears. Unfortunately, it can reoccur later in the day. Most sufferers experience one to four headaches a day during a cluster period.

Cluster headaches frequently surface during the morning or late at night; the cluster cycle can last weeks or months and then can disappear for months or years. Clusters often occur during spring or autumn and, thus, are often incorrectly associated with allergies. Approximately 10 percent of the sufferers, however, experience chronic cluster headaches that occur all year long.

Symptoms

The cluster headache was once considered a type of migraine, because it is vascular. Unfortunately, it is possible for a person to suffer from both migraines and clusters, although it is rare.

The headache is usually unilateral and rarely switches sides from one attack to another. You might feel the pain begin around one eye, "like a nail or knife stabbing or piercing" your eye, or as if someone "were pulling out" your eye; it may be accompanied by a tearing or bloodshot eye and a runny nose on the side of the headache. It can radiate from the eye to the forehead, temple and cheek on the same side. The pain of a cluster headache has been described as piercing, burning, throbbing, pulsating, and so excruciating that most victims cannot sit still and feel compelled to rock in a chair, walk back and forth, or bang their heads against something.

Of course headaches can be caused by a myriad of things, so please go to a dr!
hi dee, look up "trigeminal neuralgia" i bet thats it. it will come and go, on and off for months at a time. good luck.