Neurology Expert Forum
sharp pain in left base of skull

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

sharp pain in left base of skull
5 days ago experienced sharp pain on left side, base of skull, followed by dull ache/pain in same spot that comes & goes.  Pain eases w/OTC pain relievers, but then returns when medication wears off.  Has been constant since initial pain.  If press on area, feels like a bruise...bruise sensation continues on up to top of head on left side; however this sensation is only if pressed on...the area from base to top of skull on left side does not hurt on its own...just if pressed on.

Is this merely stress related or should I be concerned? have also been experiencing sinus-related problems (i.e. sore throat, drainage), however have NEVER had sinus headache in this area before...have always been in front/top of head.  I am 42 yrs.old.
Thanks for any info/suggestions.
I cannot give you a clinical assessment for your headache over the internet, so this will not suffice as a consulatation for your headache - you should get it checked out by at least your family physician

There are no sinuses in this area. There are some air spaces around abnd behind the inner ear and if this is the area, and especially if there is any sign of ear infection or bloackage, you need to get this checked out

the pain may also be due to an irritated nerve in that area (either the greater auricular or occipital nerve) causing a neuralgia (or 'nerve pain'). If it persists, local injections of numbing medications in this area can help.

muscle contraction headache is very common and may be another potential cause.

without seeing you though I cannot exclude a more serious problem in this area, although at first look, it sounds realtively benign
I have a similar experience. I first noticed it 3 days ago. I'm not really having any blurred vision or such. I feel pretty depressed though. When I bend down to pick something up I get somewhat of a surge to the left back of my head about an inch or so behind the left ear. It also happens randomly. It is not a constant thing. It doesn't really feel extremely painful or anything. It is somewhat of a dull ache. If I place pressure on the left side of my skull, it definitely feels different than that of my right side. This is nothing serious, just something that I have began to notice. I am concerned because if it is a tumor or head/neck cancer I would like to catch it immediately. What should I do?

I am in general good health. 19 years of age. 6'2 175 lbs. Very active.
Oh, also, the random sensation lasts for about 3 or 4 seconds.
I've similar kinda pain for the past two weeks. I have pain on the left skull part from the top until jaw... Sometimes, If i bend my head to pickup something also feel like how Sam feels..

Is it something to worry abt???

Can any physician give some advise to all us.

Thanks & Rgds
Saravanan
A related discussion, pain on left side of head was started.
A related discussion, Sharp Pain on left side of my head was started.
A related discussion, unusual pain was started.
A related discussion, headaches was started.
A related discussion, pain at base of skull was started.
A related discussion, Pseudotumor cerebri was started.
A related discussion, sharp pain in left side of head was started.