Neurology Community
sharp shooting pains

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

sharp shooting pains

can the sharp electric like shooting pains be diagnosed as lehrmittes ?

This discussion is related to numbness....help.
Thanks for writing in.
Lhermitte's sign is described electrical or buzzing sensations in the limbs and body brought on by movement of the neck. These sensations are known as paresthesia and include tingling, electrical shocks, partial numbness and sharp pains. It is most often triggered by lowering the head such that the chin touches the chest.
It is a classic finding in multiple sclerosis, but can be caused by a number of conditions, including Behçet's disease, trauma, , vitamin B12 deficiency and compression of the spinal cord in the neck from cervical spondylosis, disc herniation, tumor, and Arnold-Chiari malformation. It is also  seen after high dose chemotherapy.

Hope it helps.

Take care

Thank you for your reply..........the shooting pains have all but dissappeared since I was put on 3600 mg. of Neuronton........it's changed my life........the only way mine were different from what you described are that my chin didn't have to touch my chest.......they would come on......for no reason I could ever figure out......I had a serious horse accident in 1982........L 3-4 were severely compromised.......had an incomplete injury resulting in no feeling below the waist.......self cayh......walking with two canes and AFO's for short distances........the shooting pains used to come and continue every fifteen to twenty minutes for two to three days.......around the clock........narcotics didn't touch the pain........the quality of my life has improved drastically since being on the Neurontin.........who knew that an anticonvulsant could be so effective for nerve pain.......again......thank you for your answer.............Norma