Neurology Expert Forum
sharp shooting scalp/head pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

sharp shooting scalp/head pain

My husband is experiencing scalp pain which is characterized by sensitivity to the scalp when touched which includes laying his head on his pillow. Sharp pain will shoot to the scalp and he also has ear pain. This has been going on for about a week or two.
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.
   The symptoms you describe are consistent with a pinched or irriated nerve in the neck region (such as the greater occipital nerve, lesser occiptial nerve, greater auricular nerve, C1, C2 etc.).  I am not sure where on the scalp the pain is, but each nerve has a specific distribution on the scalp.  Other possiblities include trigeminal neuraligia (usually involves the face) and causes severe knife like pain that is sharp and electric.  This is treated with tegretol, neuronotin and other medications as well as some procedure/surgeries.  Another possiblility is temporal arteritis, an inflammatory condition that usually affects people 65 and older, causes tenderness over the temporal (above and in front of the ear) regions of the scalp and is associated with headaches and/or visual problems.  This condition is diagnosed by ESR (sedimentation rate) and biopsy.  Treatment of this condition is an emergency if suspected/diagnosed because it can lead to loss of eyesight.  I would recommend that you see a neurologist, and have an MRI of the cervical spine, an ESR and your care can be direct from there.
I hope this has been helpful.
Sharp, shooting pain is characteristic of nerve pain.  Depending on the exact location, he could have trigeminal neuralgia, occipital neuralgia, or some other neuralgia or neuritis. He needs to see a neurologist.  The ear pain is possibly related to neuralgia as a referred type of pain, or it may be due to an unrelated illness or syndrome. No matter which, his general physician ought to be able to refer him to a good neurologist.

Best of luck!
I have a very similar head pain.  I am alarmed by this and don't know what could be the problem.  The "stabbing" pain is the back left section, shooting into the back left crown.  It reoccurs every few minutes, seems to be (but not exclusive to) simultaneous with swallowing.  I have tried to take IBU to relieve the discomfort but it isn't very effective.
Your pain sounds like it is nerve related, possibly occipital or glossopharyngeal neuralgia. Ibuprofen and other OTC pain meds don't do a thing for neuralgia. You need to see a neurologist. Ask your regular doctor for a referal, or if you don't have a regular doctor, get a referal through your local hospital's physician referal service.  There are many different meds worth trying, and a good neurologist should be able to help.  If you get no help, email me at ***@****.

I have suffered occipital neuralgia for 28 years, and have had to research the condition and meds myself, but am now doing better because of my research.
I have been experiencing what I would call a dull at time sharp pain above my ear.  If pressure is applied to the area the pain is much worse.  I have also been experiencing nausea as well.  My Primary Care physician order blood work and a brain MRI. My White Blood Cells were slightly elavated 12.5, and the brain MRI results stated I had a Non Specific Signal in the area I have been experiencing the pain that may be related to a complex migrane (migraine)?  I asked him what this meant he really wasn't sure, and suggested the I follow-up with a Neurologist.  I have had migranes (migraines) before they were always in my eyes this pain is always there and get worse when pressure is applied--Could this really be a migrane (migraine)? or is this something else?
I have a lump on the lower left side of the back of my head.  I noticed it about a month ago.  Today when I was getting in my car I felt a shooting pain in my left temple that went down to the area where the lump is.  Should I be alarmed?  What could it be?
I have a shooting pain from my neck to the top of my head. There is a spot at the top of my head that when I touch it, it shoots pain into my head. I barely have to touch it and the pain shoots. Any Ideas? Its kinda scary
I woke up this mornig with electric sharp pains spidering across my scalp, from back to front.  I do not usually suffer from headaches although I have developed very sore shoulders, stiffness and discomfort while working in my job as an event planner.  I am wondering if it from the high stress and marching around for hours in high heels or if this is a bigger problem unrelated.
I never did this befor.I have a question about head pain.could someone let me know if i am at the right spot?
You are at the right spot.  However, you have to click on "post question" in order to get a response from the neurologist, and that is very difficult to do: they only take one or two questions a day and usually they have been snatched up already, but you can keep trying.  But you can always post to hopefully get a response from other posters or you can go over to the "Neurology Support Forum" (click at top of this web site's page), which is a patient-to-patient forum (no response from MDs there).
I have a little pain on the top right side of my scalp. Feels like i have had my hair in a pony tail for a very long time. Doesn't hurt to the touch. It's kind of making my right ear a little sore. I am not sure what it could be please help.
Hello All -
I have been suffering from constant and sharp pains in the upper righ back side of my head. This started in Nov 06, even went to the ER, a spinal tap and CT was done - all clear. Its now mid December 06 and I am still in horrible pain. I have seen a massage therapist as well as a chiropractor and now a neurologist. My neuro has diagnosed me with Occipital Neuritis I have taken multiple "nerve" drugs as well as migrane (migraine) meds. 2 weeks ago I received a nerve block to the back of my head. Still no help - With the MRI Neuro stated no MS and no tumors. However I was diagnosed with Mastoiditis fluid build up in the mastoid gland - this was not there on Nov 2nd CT but appeared on Dec 1st MRI - My physician put me on antibiotis - Avelox - 2 weeks in and 2 more to go. I am on a new nerve drug called Elavil over 2 weeks in - I saw both my physician and neuro today with no releif - Physician just wanted to continue antibiotics - the neuro has now added Topamax to the drug regimin. I have had zero releif from the severe pain in my head as well as nausea symtoms (symptoms), neck pain and small flecks of light from time to time.

I am absolutely miserable - I have been out of work for almost 2 months and see no end in sight! Is there anything Im missing or that the Dr's are miassing??

In pain and need HELP!

Shell13
I just had major spine (neck) surgery which solved alot of problems so far, still early as it was only done Dec/06   For year's when I touch my scalp it really hurts, no shooting pain, just very sore to the touch.  I will wash my hair, usually in 2 days, massage my scalp and it will be ok for a couple days so I am having to wash my hair alot to prevent this.  I know I need to see a Dr. because this has gone on all my life.  It is like the one person said, if you wear your hair up all day and let it down, one's scalp hurts, but I have very short hair.  Not sure what to do, anyone?
A related discussion, very sharp head pain was started.
A related discussion, Scalp pain was started.
A related discussion, sharp head/scalp pain was started.
A related discussion, face and scalp pain was started.
A related discussion, stabbing pain - top left side of parietal bone (head) was started.
A related discussion, Sharp pains in head was started.
A related discussion, Sharp shooting pain left side of head was started.
A related discussion, Head or scalp pain was started.
A related discussion, sharp pain at the top of head was started.
A related discussion, sharp pain in head was started.
A related discussion, Shooting Pain in head was started.
A related discussion, pinching pain in the back of the head was started.
A related discussion, SHARP HEAD PAIN was started.
A related discussion, Pain after posterior cervical spine surgery was started.
Recently I noticed when applying pressure to a specific part of my scalp my brain would have a dull pain over the last week or so I'll get headaches more frequently and would also hurt my ear as well at times.
A related discussion, sharp pain on top of head was started.
I had a bad cold and coughed that gave me the worst headache ever. I had a headache that was dull at times and extreme at times after this event. I went to dr who put me on antibiotics to clear up chest but told me to take tylenol for head as he figured pulled muscle in neck. after 2 weeks no relief for the headaches and extreme neck pain its comes and goes and pain med does nothing I have started to see chiropractor but I can't stand this neck head pains what now its been 3 weeks also feels like pain radiates to ears?
From past four days i've been experiencing acute pain in the left side of my brain. The pain arises suddenly n feel like as if someone is inserting a nail in it. It is very difficult to bear the pain.

Can any1 tell me the reason.
It really 'll be nice to hear frm u guys.
I am a 20 year old male and the past week or two I have had nonstop headaches, some severe and some dull. Every now and then I get sharp pains in random spots in my head and it worries me alot; I have never had headaches this long or this severe so at my age I worry about these things alot.  I went to the e.r. a few days ago and when I told the dr. Why I was in there she just laughed at me for coming into the e.r. for headaches. I tried explaining to her that sharp pains are new to me so it scares me everytime it occurs. Her diagnoses was that judging my recent break up after 3 years plus lack of sleep and poor eating habits are the cause of my nonstop headaches; she concluded that it was all my stress creating all these pains. I talked to a few friends and told them I have a deep cavity in one of my wisdom teeth and they told me not to worry, its your tooth causing the pain, so I went to the dentist and had two wisdom teeth removed and the headaches have not completely went away. I have also ben having some weird neck pains that I thought may be the cause of the headaches but the neck pain doesn't feel like muscle pains. Does anybody know if a bad tooth can cause nonstop headaches even after they have ben removed? If not, what are some other things I should consider? Somebody please help me.
A related discussion, Scalp Pain was started.