Neurology Expert Forum
shock pain from molars to back head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

shock pain from molars to back head

Hi! people I want suggestions at medical condition of my father. Which is>>>>

He started feeling a pain in about 2004. The pain is unbearable it is a shock which rises from upper right molars and follows through the right side of his head till backside of head.

We contacted a neurosurgeon and he said it is two veins which touch each-other causing this terrible shock pain. He said the solution was an operation in which he'd cut the veins which are causing disturbance; but also he said it is not guaranteed that the pain will never arise again also there could come some other problem too like paralysis of some body-parts.

Due to risk we didn't go for operation but we found a dentist who injected alcohol type injection in the molars (dad got his upper right molar removed a long time ago) of my dad and then dad didn't feel the pain for about one year. But after a year again he started feeling the same pain once again we went for the injection and again it worked for about one year and the same thing happened three to four times but about four to five months ago once again he started feeling the pain severe and once again we went for injection but it didn't work this time for a year and a week or two weeks ago once again my dad started feeling the same pain and once again we got him injected the same but this time the injection would work no more and pain won't go away.

Now the only option we are left with is operation which is a too high risk, anything could happen.
So what do we do now? the injections don't work now.
Should we go for operation or is there another way?

Please tell me with whatever good you can.
Thanks in anticipation.
1 Comment
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I cannot tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.

Your neurosurgeon may be referring to venous compression on the trigeminal nerve, which is sometimes treated by microvascular decompression. The trigeminal nerve is responsible for sensation from the face and teeth.  This function can be disrupted by a number of causes, including compression on the nerve by surrounding structures, including tumors or abnormal blood vessels.  When there is chronic pain condition due to pathology of the trigeminal nerve, it is known as trigeminal neuralgia.  This is usually worked up with an MRI and MRA of the head.  Your neurosurgeon may have felt that microvascular decompression was a good option for treatment.  There are risks associated with the procedure, including possibility of facial numbness, facial weakness, and decreasing hearing.  There are other surgical options including gamma knife radiosurgery and glycerol injection.  There are also medical options for treatment for trigeminal neuralgia, where anticonvulsant medications such as carbamazepine are used.

I am unsure what diagnosis that your father has received, although I am postulating that it is trigeminal neuralgia.  In any case, if you are not comfortable with the risks of surgery at this point in time, I would recommend seeking an evaluation by a neurologist.  He or she may be able to offer an opinion on the diagnosis, and possibly medical therapy as an option.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.