Neurology Expert Forum
shocking pain when turning head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

shocking pain when turning head
I am a 28 yr old female and I've experienced the following problem ever since I was a kid.  Some times it doesn't happen for months, and sometimes it's quite frequent.
    All I do is turn my head for something as simple as backing my car up and suddenly an electric shock like pain shoots up my neck,and then a painful hot sensation spreads up my neck into one side of my head (and back behind my ear).  The feeling slowly fades, and is generally gone within 5 minutes.  I know this isn't a life altering symptom, as it isn't constant or long lasting, my reason for writing is that I'm concerned about whether this is a sign of a larger problem, ie;  MS, disc compression.  Or is that strange hot spreading feeling blood from a ruptured vessel, or is this a common thing that is nothing to worry about?  Thanks for your time and insight.
This may be related to a nerve in your spine being irritated when you turn your head. I would recommend telling your primary care doctor about this. He/she can tehn possibly arrange for a MRI of the cervical spine to evaluate this problem. This is not consistent with a vessel problem, and is unlikely to be related to MS.
I too have experienced this "shock" when turning my head, a year or more can go by, or even longer, then one day turn around to look at something and it feels like someone plugged my neck into an outlet. I have attributed this(and I am no medical professional) to simply temporarily pinching a nerve or a nerve snapping over a tendon in the neck just due to the misalignment of the neck or just turning your head the wrong way suddenly. I don't think you have anything to worry about, I have asked other people about this after it happens to me, and they say it has happened to them before, hope that relieves some of your fears!
A related discussion, Shocking pain when I turn my head quickly was started.