Neurology Community
shooting ear/scalp/head pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

shooting ear/scalp/head pain

I have been having shooting pain in my head for about a week now. The pains are brief and sharp, getting worse as the day goes on. They come initially about every 10 minutes in the morning, to about every 30 seconds by the evening. The pain flares for a few seconds and makes me gasp. It shoots from the left top of my head down into my left ear and just under my left ear. My scalp is very painful and sensitive at the left top of my head where it starts,  brushing my hair is painful.
The pattern the pain flares in seems to follow a nerve path, which made me think it is some type of neuralgia. It came on after a cold and initially I thought it was an ear infection, but I don't now.
Hi, Thank you so much for your question. It sounds like occipital neuralgia or temporal arteritis pain. In these conditions headache is usually concentrated in the one region of your head and it is tender to touch and things like combing your hair may be painful. But in addition to this for any persistent headaches, possibilities like migrainous, cluster, tension and refractive errors that need to be evaluated thoroughly with the help of a neurologist here. Migraine like headache can be throbbing, one sided of face & head and preceded by aura (starts with blurred vision). Cluster headache may appear as burning, explosive in nature and tear appears from eyes. Tension headache originates with stress and anxiety disorder. Please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders by clinically examine you & ordering MRI or CT scan here that may be the main reasons of your headache attacks & other symptoms and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!