Neurology Community
shooting pain in Occipitalis (right side)

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

I have experienced severe shooting pain on the 'exterior' right side of my head/scalp, ( muscle - occipitalis I think).   Usually happens when I am turning my head to look to the left.  The pain is a 10/10 zinger, and is over in an instant, but then leaves a burning senstation for ~ 30 minutes.   This used to occur once in a while (less than 1/month), and now is occuring a few times/day.   It comes out of nowhere and really hurts.   What causes this?   Mnd what can I do about it?
Thank you
Thank you for your question. Although without being able to examine you I can not offer you the specific advice on diagnosis and treatment that you need, but I would try to provide you some relevant information about your health concern.

In occipital neuralgia condition headache is usually concentrated in the one region of your head and it is tender to touch and things like combing your hair may be painful. However, in addition to this for any persistent headaches, possibilities like migrainous, cluster, tension and refractive errors that need to be evaluated thoroughly with the help of a neurologist here. Migraine like headache can be throbbing, one sided of face & head and preceded by aura (starts with blurred vision). Cluster headache may appear as burning, explosive in nature and tear appears from eyes. Tension headache originates with stress and anxiety disorder. Please arrange an appointment with a neurologist right away who will evaluate the further underlying disorders by clinically examine you & ordering MRI or CT scan here that may be the main reasons of your headache attacks & other symptoms and can provide you an appropriate treatment. Hope this information proves helpful to you. Take Care & Regards!!!