Neurology Community
shooting pain to back of head after car accident

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, Multiple Sclerosis, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Hi---I was in a car accident a month ago. to make a long story short ..while pulled over on the shoulder of the expressway a car crashed into the back of the car i was in, at full speed. i was in the back of the car, on the right side. i was sleeping to my head was dropped to the left side of my body. when the car hit us, my body shifted towards the right, sending my head the opposide side. in doing this, i hurt my shoulder, neck and head. i had a mri of my head done, and there was no damage. I'm still in a lot of pain in my neck---very frequently there are shooting pains into the back of my head sort of behind my ear and right above it. these pains are excrutiating and for the moment, i feel like i can't even move because it hurts so much. ive been going to physical therapy but it hasnt helped at all ..i have an mri scheduled for my neck but im just too curious as to what this can be. it's definitely too much pain for it to be nothing (other than some whiplash)----ES

It is important to undergo an MRI of neck to rule out causes like disc herniation or disc prolapse resulting in nerve compression which is causing shooting pain in the back of the head and behind the ear.