Neurology Expert Forum
shoulder pain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

shoulder pain

I have felt like my left hand would fall asleep a lot the last few weeks, and starting yesterday I was having terrible pain in my left shoulder down my arm with my hand still feeling like it's asleep. I am having trouble moving and lifting my left arm also.   Should I be seen for this right away or give it a little more time before I go to the dr?
Avatar_dr_m_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with a doctor.

Without the ability to examine and obtain a history, I can not tell you what the exact cause of the symptoms is. However I will try to provide you with some useful information.  

The arm, forearm and hand have muscles that are supplied by nerves that travel from mainly the cervical (i.e., neck) region initially as a group called the brachial plexus. As they travel, there are several locations that can cause compression/injury to the nerves. Additionally, depending on what nerve is compressed/injured, you will have specific symptoms.

Also, if you have a herniated disc, you will have specific pain and symptoms in the distribution of the nerve that is injured.

Without more specific information, I cannot tell an exact cause or location for your symptoms. It may be at the neck or it could possibly be more distal. There are multiple causes and locations for compression.

I would recommend that you be evaluated by a physician sooner than later. You should initially be evaluated with an MRI of the neck and further studies would be based on these results.

Thank you for this opportunity to answer your questions, I hope you find the information I have provided useful, good luck.