shunt and seizures
hi, my daughter has had a shunt(programmable one) since she is 5 mths old. she is now 12. 3 days ago she had a seizure, she hadn't a seizure before this for 3 years. she also has CP. since her seizure she is saying her neck hurts where the tube is. now, her tube has been broken for a little over a year and she is no longer using her shunt @ this time . heres my question. did she have this seizure because of her shunt not working or something? and what does it mean that her tube is bothering her since her seizure? she cannot communicate well. its alot of guesssing w her. also will this tube replacing of the shunt be a big surgery? a painful one?
hi there. The seizures that your daughter is suffering from could be because of cerebral palsy or raised intracranial pressure due to blocked or malfunctioning shunt. You need to consult the neurosurgeon to check for other signs of raised intracranial pressure like headaches, seizures and neurological problems. It would need confirmation with CT or MRI and spinal tap. Shunt revision is the same as shunt placement in terms of time and severity of surgery done under general anesthesia. Painful stimuli are felt at the time of shunt insertion. Consult your doctor for more details of the surgery and his approach henceforth. Take care.