Neurology Community
side effects of a spinal blood patch

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

side effects of a spinal blood patch

I had a spinal blood patch done last week. My headache disappeared and everything seems to be ok.  This week my legs feel as though I have severe hamstring pulls and it is difficult to walk.  Could that be  a side effect of the blood patch and if so what can I do about it.
I too had a blood patch done. It was in July. I STILL have a stiff back. It is nothing like it was in the beginning but it is still stiff and I can't bend and move like I used to. Is this normal? When will I get back to bending normal again? Should I be streching or something?
I WAS PUT INTO THE HOSPITAL TO HAVE A TUMOR REMOVED ON MY SACRUM WHICH IS THE LOWER PART OF MY SPINE. THEY DID AN EPIDURAL AND LEFT IT IN ME FOR 3 DAYS. WHEN THEY TOOK IT OUT AND TRIED TO GET UP MY HEAD HURT LIKE CRAZY. I WOULD GET NAUSEATED AND FEEL LIKE THE WHOLE ROOM WAS SPINNING AND I COULDN'T HARDLY OPEN MY EYES. THE DOCTORS DECIDED TO DO A BLOOD PATCH. ABOUT AN HOUR AFTER THE PROCEDURE THEY DISCHARGED ME FROM THE HOSPITAL I WAS GETTING REALLY BAD PAINS IN MY NECK AND MY LEFT LEG WAS NUMB COULDNT FEEL IT. SO I CALLED THE DOCTORS AFTER HOURS, THEY SAID THAT I WOULD PASS WITH TIME. HERE IT IS ALMOST 3 WEEKS SINCE THE BLOOD PATCH AND I AM STILL NOT ABLE TO FEEL THE BACK OF MY LEG. THEY SENT ME TO HAVE A CT SCAN OF MY SPINE WHICH I HAVENT BEEN BACK TO FIND OUT WHAT THE RESULTS ARE YET. I GET JOLT OF PAIN THROUGH MY LEFT LEG AND SOMETIMES IT GETS WHERE  MY MUSCLE FEEL LIKE THEY ARE CRAMPING UP ALL THE TIME, I GET A BURNING SENSATION IN MY FOOT, SOMETIMES IT FEEL A NEEDLE IS GOING THROUGH IT, AND IT IS VERY SENSITVE TO TOUCH. I REALLY BELIEVE THE BLOOD PATCH PROCEDURE WAS NOT DONE CORRECTLY. I WAS ON MY SIDE, NO ANSTHEIA IN MY BACK , THEY STUCK MY ARM 3 TIMES BEFORE I HEARD THEM SAY YOU JUST NEED TO BUST THE VEIN TO GET THE BLOOD, AND THEY DID NOT MONITOR MY BLOOD PRESSURE OR OXYGEN.
I had a blood patch done friday and since then I get pains in my left leg and I still get head aches but not as bad and I have been sick to my stomach and running 101.0 fevers.
I had a neuro stimulator surgery on my spine 3 weeks ago. Doctor said my spinal fluid was bleeding out.  I have since been back to my doctor and have received 3 blood patches for severe headaches that feel like my right side of my head is in a vice. Talked to my doctor today and he said there was nothing else he could do for me and also told me I didn't need a CT scan of my head anyone have the same issues and if so do they ever subside