Neurology Expert Forum
slowing of background activity in brain

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

slowing of background activity in brain

i recentley had a eeg and was told ther was a significont slowing of the background activity. what does this mean?
First of all, keep in mind that I am unable to diagnose you because I am unable to examine you, this forum is for educational purposes.    
   EEG or electroencephalogram (also called the "brain wave test"), is measuring electrical activity arising from the neurons in your brain.  The normal activity that occurs in the neurons is called the background activity.  We choose a specific way to measure background by counting the number of Hertz that occur in the posterior dominant alpha rhythm (coming from the back of the brain).  Normal range for an adult is 8-13 hertz.  When people are sick, febrile, tired (sleep deprived), had a recent seizure, intoxicated, etc. their brains do not function as well.  This dysfunction in brain activity can be picked up on EEG as slowing of the background activty.  This is only a statement of overall dysfunction with many different causes and is not specific for any particular one.  
I hope this has been helpful.
its me again wanted to add im 35 yrs old and have also had many oter symptoms numbness in arms blurred vision ,legs giving way ,memory loss,pains in joints. had mri came back ok. but am concerned as friend has ms, and my symptoms are more or less the same as his...... i also have crohns diagnosed 1998 i am so worried as no app 4 3 months unless i go to the emergencey room pls help thanx