Neurology Expert Forum
small fiber

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

small fiber
Could you please give me some info on small fiber neuropathy?

What causes small fiber?
Is it detected on Emg?
What is the test like to detect small fiber?
What symptoms does it give?
What causes small fiber?
What happens if one does not treat small fiber?

Thank you for your time and expertise.
Dear Larry:

You ask a very good question, but perhaps too broad to answer on this forum.  I will try and condense this.  Various nerves are found in different diameters.  I don't know why nature did it this way, but it just is.  The smaller ones are involved in pain and temperature sensation where as motor function, position sense, vibration sensen are larger nerves.  Touch is mediated by both kinds.  EMG studies do not measure small diameter nerves only those of medium and large diameter.  There arev very select etiologies of small fiber neuropathies, amyloid, diabetes, hereditary sensory and autonomic neuropathies, Fabry's disease, and Tangiers disease.  There is in addition, an idiopathetic type which we do not know the etiology of.  Except for the latter, the only way to treat is to treat the underlying illness.  Left untreated, the small fibers or nerves will die.  This causes complete numbness or lack of function depending on the neuron.  I hope I have helped you alittle.

CCF Neuro MD
I have been told that a skin biopsy is the only test that will  tell you if you have this disease. I have been diagnosed with this disease and I want to have this test but "Johs Hopkins" is the only place that I have been told that does this test that is close to were I live. This is a skin biospy not a nerve biopsy some people get them confused. This was told to me by my neuro Dr. I hope this answere one of your question and will be checking back with hopes of more info.
jan
If left untreated the nerves will die?
What aout viral and drug induced small fiber conditions?
Does this mean your nerves just die as what treatment is there for that?
What do you mean by "lack of function" depending on neurons? Will you become unable to use your legs and end up in a wheel chair? What are neurons? If I have a skins biopsy will it tell me more of what is going on with this disease? Why is my neurogist thinking mine is hereditary because I had hammer toes and had them operated on as a teenager? Is he thinking it is CMT because every time I call hereditary up on the computer I see this disease.