small vessel disease as differential diagnosis off MRI
I was diagnosed 8 years ago with MS based on MRI and physical symptoms. I recently have had unexplained neck pain/spasm with intermittent pounding in my ears and visual flashes of light at times. As well the left eye creates a straight line into a jagged one. My doctor reported the MRI to say they could not confirm the diagnosis of MS due to it being only a single lesion seen (I was diagnosed by an MS clinic in another city. They offered a differential diagnosis as the mass being single focus whitematter with indications of small vessel disease. Can anyone help me with what this small vessel disease is? Has anyone else been diagnosed with one lesion and clinical sypmtoms?
Hi there.

Small vessel diseases are really non-specific diagnoses and this just means that there may be something clogging or causing some narrowing withing the blood vessel (this can be due to increased cholesterol or blood pressure).  Isolated small vessel diseases can indeed cause some form of white matter changes.  In your situation, it is best to have regular follow ups with the physician/neurologist and report to him any symptoms that might ensue.  It will also help to control any other conditions such as high blood cholesterol, high blood sugar, and blood pressure problems.

Regards.