Neurology Community
small vessel disease
About This Community:

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

small vessel disease

Over the last five years, I have been experiencing feeling of light-headedness, tinnitis, and brain fog. I went for an MRI scan two years, which showed diffuse white matter lesion, consistent with small vessel disease. Not sure quite how bad, but the report did say "far too many for the age of the patient". I was 42 at the time, and the referring consultant said he was not overly concerned by this, put me on a statin and asparin (aspirin), and discharged me. I saw a neurologist, who sent me for an EEG (normal), and a lumbar puncture, which showed elevated protein in the CFS. Repeat MRI's and repeat lumbar puncture showed no change, so she discharged me too.

I know what small vessel disease is, but am somewhat confused as to how I have it at such an early age without significant risk factors? Are there any measures I can take to stop this progressing?
Related Discussions
2 Comments Post a Comment
Blank
Hi there. Prevention of small vessel disease requires life style changes like stopping smoking, reducing blood pressure and losing weight.  Reduce your alcohol consumption, salt intake, weight loss, daily walk of 30 minutes  regularly help. Regular exercise alleviate symptoms of small vessel disease. Long-term medications, diet and life style changes can make a significant difference in the course of this progressive disesase. Hope this helps. Take care.
Blank

Maybe you have, or had lyme disease.  My neurologist found similar damage in my brain and he too thought I was too young, and thinks it is lyme related.    
Blank
Post a Comment
To
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Neurology Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
242532_tn?1269553979
Blank
Control Emotional Eating with this ...