Neurology Expert Forum
soft spot on head

This forum is for questions and support regarding neurology issues such as: Alzheimer's Disease, ALS, Autism, Brain Cancer, Cerebral Palsy, Chronic Pain, Epilepsy, Fibromyalgia, Headaches, MS, Neuralgia, Neuropathy, Parkinson's Disease, RSD, Sleep Disorders, Stroke, Traumatic Brain Injury.

soft spot on head

I realized a few months ago that I have a new indention/soft spot on my skull.  It's just behind the crown of my head, and it's very tender.  If I rub it, I have an aching, throbbing sensation throughout my head for minutes afterwards.  I've asked several physicians and they don't seem to take me seriously.  This spot hasn't always been there, and it certainly hasn't been tender.  Also, I was recently prescribed Cymbalta because a physician believes I may have fibromyalgia.  About 16 hours after my first dose of Cymbalta, my skin felt like it was burning, primarily at the "soft spot" on my head.  Any thoughts as to what this is?  Should I do tests to identify the situation?
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Thanks for using the forum. I am happy to address your questions, and my answer will be based on the information you provided here. Please make sure you recognize that this forum is for educational purposes only, and it does not substitute for a formal office visit with your doctor.

It is difficutly to invoke a neurologic cause to your pain in the localized area in your head. A non-neurologic cause seems more likely from what I can tell from your description, though of course it is impossible for me to tell at this time. The spot your are sensing on your skull may be in the scalp (skin, soft tissue) or less likely the bone. It could be something as simple as a large pimple even. It is possible you recently hit your head and didn't make much of it but that this caused some bruising. Also, you could have a small cut there that you are not seeing because it is covered with hair. Again it is difficult to know without being able to examine you. I suggest you share your symptoms with your primary doctor for further evaluation.

Thank you for using the forum I hope you find this information useful good luck.